4.0 out of 5 stars vintage knitting without the headache
Published on 18 Feb. 2009 by mad cat woman

3.0 out of 5 stars Not modern enough!
Patterns are OK, but limited in that only a few were of interest, as they're not that exciting. Also, like many vintage patterns, there is no getting away from the fact that vintage knitting patterns are more like dressmaking ones: knitting separate pieces then sewing together. I hadn't realised how much knitting had progressed in terms of shaping!
Published 3 months ago by Happy feet

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars vintage knitting without the headache, 18 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Vintage Knitwear for Modern Knitters (Hardcover)
Just received my copy and am very pleased with it. Some beautiful patterns such as boleros, jackets, jumpers and scarfs, all bar one are graded as intermediate to advanced so not much for the beginner knitter. If like me you adore patterns from the 40's and 50's then this is the book for you. As all of the patterns have been resized they go up to a 42" chest (unlike the originals which usually only go up to about a 32"!. The choice of yarns is quite good for example Debbie Bliss Cashmerino, Capricorn mohair, Orkney angora, Jaeger machmaker merino but easy enough to substitute if you do a tension square.

5.0 out of 5 stars 21 lovely unusual designs to knit, 23 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Vintage Knitwear for Modern Knitters (Hardcover)
Having flicked through this book, I'm delighted with my purchase, which was partly based on other reviews. It gives instructions and pictures (for USA and UK) for 21 lovely smart designs from the 30s, 40s and 50s, updated for modern sizes (from size 32"/81cm - 42"/107cm bust) and modern yarns. Vintage pictures of each garment are shown, together with a picture of the finished articles when knitted up, which look surprisingly modern.

The book has a glossary of techniques and abbreviations at the back, and the garments are each rated as either easy, for knitters with some experience, or for experienced knitters. Both USA and UK suppliers are also listed.

This is a lovely book and if another one is brought out I will certainly be buying it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Knitting Pattens, 4 Feb. 2009
JY (Swindon UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vintage Knitwear for Modern Knitters (Hardcover)
A small, neat book with 21 clear and well laid out patterns all with original pictures and new pictures of the designs knitted up in current yarns. Jackets, hats,scarves, sweaters, bed jackets. The garments are all for women though the accessories could be more widely appreciated. The sizes range from 32" -42" bust (81 -107cm) A nice addition to a bookshelf if you like old patterns and an introduction to them if you have not looked before.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book!, 28 July 2010
This review is from: Vintage Knitwear for Modern Knitters (Hardcover)
I asked for this book for my birthday as it had good reviews online. I love it!
The designs are very wearable, gorgeous and there is a good variety of items and difficulty levels.
I even found some new stitches to try out! I totally recommend this book : )

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Garments, 7 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Vintage Knitwear for Modern Knitters (Hardcover)
What lovely pictures there are in the book and I enjoyed just looking through it. I am not a knitter but I did ask my mother's friend to knit a bolero and a scarf and they are beautiful. The colours seem so vibrant.
She said that she found the book easy to follow, and that it worked well with modern yarns and modern body shapes. With that and my modern body shape in mind, I think I will ask her to knit a leaf pattern sweater as the next project.
I can thoroughly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prompt and immaculate service!, 27 July 2010
Ms. L. Grime - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vintage Knitwear for Modern Knitters (Hardcover)
Couldn't have been happier with this purchase - especially because it arrive the next day, enabling me to give it as a present to a friend on time! Nicely wrapped and in good condition, thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gift!, 20 Jan. 2011
Ann Burgess (Essex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vintage Knitwear for Modern Knitters (Hardcover)
Arrived very quickly! I bought it as a gift for my aunt who's a keen knitter, and she loved it. Its written (I believe) by a woman who makes period costumes for productions. She takes vintage designs and adapts them for modern people/shapes so that they stay true to the original design. Clearly laid out.The modern product and original pattern/images are laid out alongside each other. Very interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly suprised!, 26 Sept. 2011
N. Eastaugh (Ipswich, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vintage Knitwear for Modern Knitters (Hardcover)
I ordered the book because I liked the angora bolero pattern. Usually I don't go for vintage patterns as I don't have the hourglass figure for which they are designed! However, this book is different - all the patterns have been reworked and adapted to suit modern body shapes and to include larger sizes. There are several patterns that I really like and there are helpful yarn recommendations too. A great book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not modern enough!, 6 Dec. 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars great knits, 21 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Vintage Knitwear for Modern Knitters (Hardcover)
Easy to follow & im a beginner! Ive started with the bolero & im loving it. Great book. Thank u

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Vintage Knitwear for Modern Knitters
Vintage Knitwear for Modern Knitters by Lise-Lotte Lystrup (Hardcover - 1 Sept. 2008)