4.0 out of 5 stars Revised Edition Contains Little New Information
Published 12 months ago by Anthony Parsdon

3.0 out of 5 stars I think I can say that it is rather dry ...
I think I can say that it is rather dry and very little information not available to someone who has read around the subject for a few hours.
Published 4 months ago by Ms. Josephine Allan

4.0 out of 5 stars Revised Edition Contains Little New Information, 13 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Roman Britain: A New History (Paperback)
This is a highly readable account of the history and archaeology of Roman Britain, well-illustrated and presented. I bought it when it was first published in 2006, and I also bought the new edition recently as I thought it would contain a substantial updating of recent archaeological discoveries and interpretations; there have after all been considerable developments in the subject since 2006. However, the textual amendments and additions are slight, together with a very few extra, or replacement, illustrations. I wish I had viewed the new edition first before purchasing through Amazon!

5.0 out of 5 stars The essential introduction to Roman Britain, 31 July 2014
Ian Thumwood "ian17577" (Winchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roman Britain: A New History (Paperback)
Over the last couple of years there have been a number of really exceptional books about Roman Britain which offer a variety of different approaches from a military / political perspective, narrative approaches, studies based upon archaeological evidence and even thoroughly revisionist efforts like "Un-Roman Britain." I've enjoyed reading all of these books as they have opened the window on to a world I hadn't fully appreciated. However, for a comprehensive and rounded history of this era, I would have to say that Guy de la Bedoyere's effort is essential reading and the ideal starting point.

This books scores on so many levels. It is easy to read and doesn't assume any prior knowledge. The illustrations and photographs are excellent and the "bullet points" within each chapter throw an interesting light on topics such as London, treasure hoards, Mithras, pottery and baths. The structure of the book leaves no stone unturned with chapters offering a narrative history of Roman Britain, information about towns and villas, the organisation of the army, religion, industry and commerce as well as a well-considered conclusion on the demise of Roman life in these islands which is neither sensational or controversial. In fact, this balanced and well-thought out book seems to cover practically everything that is currently known and if the subject still remains illusive, this is indicative of how little we actually know after the beginning of the 2nd century and the fact that the archaeological record is imbalanced insofar that perishable materials and structures are absent with the exception of staggering finds like the VIndolanda tablets. I found the explanation of how to read Latin tombs fascinating and this was no means unique is providing a wider understanding of things that I had previously taken for granted or not truly appreciated when I had seen exhibits in museums. Having ploughed through a good 2/3rd of the book prior to visiting a Roman museum in Lyon, the book even proved to be of benefit in appreciating some things I had previously been very familiar after previous visits.

All in all, this is the book to go for regarding Roman Britain. It is a fascinating subject already yet the writer manages to make a pretty mysterious part of our history come to life in a way the other books don't quite match. The brilliant illustrations help yet the commentary offers balanced judgements and contrasting opinions on so many issues that it totally fulfilled my ideal criteria for the perfect history book. Unfortunately the historical record ensures that we can never fully understand Roman Britain - Guy de la Bedoyere's effort is about as close as we can get to a comprehensive guide to what went on between Caesar's first expedition in 55BC and the crumbling of Roman governance in the 5th Century. All that is needed now is a companion volume to Roman Gaul to make my holiday's in France that little bit more rewarding. Impossible to award this book anything less than five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars An up-to-date history., 8 Feb. 2014
Mr. Leslie Evans (Swansea) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roman Britain: A New History (Paperback)
Guy de la Bedoyere is well known to us from his appearances in 'all things Roman' in the excellent Time Team programmes on television. Now, sadly, terminated.
This book was first published in 2006 when I borrowed it from my local library. Demand has justifiably caused it to have been reprinted a number of times until 2013 when the writer again brought the content up to date and a revised publication was published. This edition was a Christmas present from my daughter and I am now pleased to add it to my book shelf.
Archaeology is continuously finding more information from the ground and we are extremely fortunate to have Mr. Bedoyere on hand to collate all this information and present it to us in such a readable way.
Any one with just a mild interest in this fascinating part of British History will do well to read it.
Heartily recommended!
Les Evans. (Gower)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative and well illustrated, 3 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Roman Britain: A New History (Paperback)
This book met every requirement. This was purchased by my wife for a Latin/Roman history course she is presently undertaking. It was recommended by the course tutor and contains some good illustrations.

3.0 out of 5 stars I think I can say that it is rather dry ..., 14 Oct. 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 20 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Roman Britain: A New History (Paperback)
Guys books are usually agood read so looking forward to it. Updates previous books

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 23 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Roman Britain: A New History (Paperback)
Excellent. Just what I needed for a course on Roman Britain.

5.0 out of 5 stars his is a splendid revision of this book., 8 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Roman Britain: A New History (Paperback)
his is a splendid revision of this book. v

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 12 Oct. 2014
enjoying the book. Delighted

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 Nov. 2014
Very good

Roman Britain: A New History
Roman Britain: A New History by Guy de la Bédoyère (Paperback - 16 Sept. 2013)