Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 June 2013
I saw this book at a friend's house and started to flick through it. Four hours later I was still there - absolutely riveted by creative skill and ingenuity of the designer and his studio colleagues. It's wonderfully accessible, with each design given a single page (with a few exceptions) and clear photographic representation. The text is very simple and engaging - 'we had this remit/problem/challenge and we wondered if we could do THIS' - and then a description of how the challenge was undertaken. What's fabulous is that the designs range from tiny Christmas trinkets to magnificent international architectural wonders. Each is rightly given the same weight and simple, beautiful treatment. I stopped for lunch, then went back to the book. I had to read every single page. Then when I'd finished it, I ordered it as a gift for a friend. I hope she takes the hint and gives one back to me! If you love beautiful design and beautiful minds, you will treasure this book.
on 16 September 2013
I was made aware of Thomas Heatherwick, like so many people, by virtue of his Olympic Cauldron. I was reacquainted with him thanks to a BBC documentary in which he and Joanna Lumley discussed a project to build a 'bridge garden' across the Thames. I was taken by Thomas's logical yet lateral thinking approach to so many projects and thought this book would be great for an architecturally minded friend. Unfortunately the book never made it on to the friend and is still being enjoyed by me. Rather in the manner of that tv documentary the book's approach does much to illuminate the way Thomas looks at a problem and sees it as an opportunity, and opportunity to be bold and innovative. But it's also interesting to see how in many of his projects he has not been innovative for innovations' sake but rather how a commission leads to a train of thought that delivers something more substantial and more positively provocative than the original brief might suggest. Reading - and looking at - that process is where this book really succeeds.
Just a quick postscript. There are two versions of this book listed. Make sure you go for the newer one - with the flash on the cover - which includes details of the Olympic Cauldron project. Recommended!
on 1 September 2013
I'd expected it'd be a 'coffee table' book, but my daughter was doing a project inspired by a couple of the heatherwick studio designs, so I got it her. It is so much better than I expected & she has devoured it & found so much more to inspire her in it. btw, we don't have a coffee table...
on 2 September 2013
Thomas Heatherwick must surely be the 21st century equivalent to Leonardo!
A brilliant book to dip into to marvel at the innovative ideas and successes of this creative genius.
Easy to read with wonderful photography. Highly recommended.
on 2 September 2013
Brilliant man.Brilliant and beautiful book.Worth every penny.
Do get hold of this book which is just full of the author's wonderful creativity,with great illustrations.
on 19 July 2013
Every project and every page in the book shows you how a genius is playing with the problem and solved it with extraordinary idea !
on 23 June 2013
A great publication about a great design studio. My favourite is the extruded aluminium bench, If Heatherwick have any slightly sub-standard ones I wouid be happy to make an offer!
on 18 July 2013
I ordered this book as a present. It arrived on time and in perfect condition. It is a beautiful book about the works of the man who designed the Olympic flame in London 2012
on 1 May 2015
Beautiful photography and interesting narrative this book is pure delight. You don't have to be a student or architect it's perfect for anyone and I found it most informative. The back story to the different projects is delightful as is discovering the sponsors and designers of projects around the world - some you love others you hate and all in all hours of enjoyment. I wouldn't recommend it as bed time reading - you'd probably strain your arms and neck and have a massive bill from your osteopath - it's a colossal weighty tomb that I would suggest is read at a table....
on 24 June 2016
Astoundingly imaginative book, beautifully produced. So inspiring and raises a broad smile with every second page. I recommend this tome to anyone with at least a faint interest in art, craft, design, engineering, architecture, or style. Fantastic value now that it's a few years since release, since which time I've fancied a copy but never managed a peek inside.