Format: Paperback|Change

A carefully chosen selection of some of England's most attractive villages, invariably quaint and always strikingly captured in this beautiful collection of photographs interspersed with a short commentary.

This is the perfect book for lovers of traditional English villages and photography. It lives up to its name and will not disappoint.
on 14 February 2011
"The Most Beautiful Villages of England" and "Picture Perfect English Villages (The Most Beautiful...)" are the same books, just different titles. :-(
on 30 November 2011
This book is pretty enough and nice to browse but there are some gorgeous views that are strangely missing and I don't think the photography is always that good; I thought Southwell was a town not a village? It's a big book that I think is a bit light on content given it's size.
on 8 March 2009
The book with its good commentary and splendid photography records the richness and diversity of the English village in a way that you just want to spent your holidays in these idyllic villages.
on 12 February 2012
I had to control my anxiety until the arrival of the book, but I'm now enjoying my reading! Splendid pictures, fluent text, nice reading ... for those who plan a journey through the English countryside or just for those who want to find out a little about the way of life of these beautiful medieval villages and fancy yourself roaming the streets and alleys and observing how nature was generous with all of them! Those are really "picture perfect" English villages and you will surely love to know them!
on 23 December 2011
An interesting guide to some of England's nicest villages. It is pictorially focused, with some small textual annotations so the reader can thumb or glance through the guide.

It needs mentioning that it is a big book - (30.8 x 24.8 x 2 cm); this forms some great panoramic and scaled photos but can make the guide physically heavy and cumbersome. I think the format would have been better in a smaller size which would lend itself more practically to traveling and touring.

Traversing the northern, eastern, western and southern counties, the guide aims to offer a taste of English village beauty. The author acknowledges in his written introduction, that the villages are picked more by regional representation as opposed to a strict top list of his most beautiful villages. Perhaps something is lost here though - as when I purchased the book, I felt I was getting the title: the author's version of the most beautiful villages in England. Instead, more aptly, I acquired a regional guide to some of the most beautiful villages in England, according to the author(s). I would have preferred a top list, whatever and whichever the regions.

There is some insightful historical information associated with the villages and is suggestive of a lost English world -- a world that is still very real, and maintains its underlying culture, legacy and heritage. Through it, I learnt of new places which was a bonus.

The photographs are clear and the text is fairly concise. Whether it is a guide that I will refer to in years to come is doubtful, but it is still nice to have on your bookshelf.
on 6 July 2012
I bought this book as a gift along with several others relating to days out in the UK. This book did not really do what I wanted it to - being very heavily biased towards the photographs and less towards information about the villages and their locality. It really is not suitable as a book to keep in the car to inspire a day out; as somebody else mentioned (and I read this before I placed the order) it is also quite a large book.

However, having said that, the photographs are lovely and there is enough information about the villages to make it more than just a photo album. I think it would make a great coffee table book (if people still have such things)- it is nice to flick through.

My biggest disappointment was that with such a range of beautiful villages in this country, only 36 are detailed in this book and of course, everybody has their own opinion of what make a beautiful village. There are many more that I would have included and at least a couple in this book which I have visited, which I would definitely leave out! However - beauty being in the eye of the beholder, that is always going to be a discussion point for such books. Maybe another reason to have a copy lying around?!
on 6 January 2011
I bought this book for some friends as a Christmas present and they loved it, I liked it so much that I ordered another one straight away that was two weeks ago and still haven't received it, so all I can say is it's a lovely book but don't hold your breath for delivery because it doesn't happen in a hurry.
on 13 July 2013
Reading the book is like taking a stroll through wonderful, bucolic towns and rural villages. I would highly recommend the book.
on 11 July 2014
This is a very beautiful picturesque book with lots of helpful information about our wonderful picture perfect English villages which make you want to get out & about & explore !
Anon