Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen with Prime Learn more Shop Men's Shop Women's

Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 April 2008
I have just received this book today and as soon as I opened it I was mesmerized. As a fashion design student I am constantly looking for inspiration, I have finally found a book that offers extraordinary, beautifully detailed photographs that would grace any Theme or Colour board. The devil is in the detail as they say, and this book certainly gives you plenty of that. The photography is superb and from a design point of view it conjures up hundreds of ideas for my fashion design work. There are very few words in this book and as such relies heavily on the visual elements of the tribal decoration, therefore, if you are after a book which offers explanations of each picture, this is not the one for you. Having said that I really don't think this book needs words with photographs of such high standard, It is a stunning book and anyone buying it should love it because of it's simplicity and artistic eye. I highly recommend getting this book if you are any kind of designer or artist. This book does not give a true understanding of the tribes it has photographed, in fact in some instances you do feel that the photographer has stylized his subjects purely for art, but I don't care. I love this book.
on 26 July 2009
What a very wonderful book!
These photos depict some very original &spontaneous art,which makes a lot of western work look very laboured & trite!?
Ironically, the perpetrators rarely glimpse their own efforts,but rely on their peer groups for reaction.
Hours are spent decorating face & body, with river mud,& local vegetation, and when theyve finished,a cooling jump in the river washes it all off immediately .
Ironically, western camera clubs are already zooming in, and this book may be contributing to the demise of the tribes lifestyle !?
on 27 December 2009
As a make up artist, I have quite a few of these books for reference of tribal makeup designs. but this one has images that don't exist in other books I have. It is fantastic for fashion references. I would recommend this as one of my top four on Tribal fashion and makeup! If you want a good representation of tribal body art around the world and can afford it, buy Decorated Skin, Africa Adorned, people of Kau and this one. I know one makeup artist who bought "Natural Fashion" and immediately organised a shoot based on it which was published in Numero magazine. This is the kind of book which will be around for a few years and then become discontinued, so if you think you might need it, my advice is buy it, before you can't find it.
on 13 July 2015
One of the most extraordinary and beautiful collection of photographs I have ever seen. The natural beauty of these people and the way that they are clearly not only a part of Nature but have a reverence and deep love for it, is evident on every single page. Those who lionize the sour-faced skeletons that parade down cat-walks from Milan to Paris, and are held up as paragons of pulchritude to the rest of us, should look at this book. They will see and understand real beauty possibly for the first time in their fashion-fuelled lives.
on 27 December 2010
I have had an affinity for Africa since a group of orphans danced into my life and touched my heart back in 1996. They changed my life forever. I have visited their home of Uganda at least half a dozen times and enjoyed the people there so much but nothing prepares one for the beauty that is captured in this book. These people are the very epitome of what might be seen in the Garden of Eden if such a place existed. Their natural innocence is so charming and their resourcefulness in using whatever is at hand to adorn themselves is nothing short of genius. Our poor folk in the western world have to pay huge corporations big bucks to buy junk to stick on their faces and their bodies but these people really show us up as their adornments are soooo much more beautiful and cost absolutely nothing AND they don't damage the earth in any way. What a wonderful book !
on 13 July 2015
Don't expect to learn much about about life for tribes in the Omo Valley from this book. The content is pictorial and limited to the way that body decoration is imaginatively created from what can be picked up in the forest. That said, the photographs are stunning and, for anyone interested in body art, inspirational.
on 3 June 2010
This is one of those books that you will be showing to every visually aware person you know. A must for Fashion, Textile and pattern designers. I'm sure it is already being used by fashion prediction agencies. Stunning.
on 6 June 2014
This book by Hans Silvester is truly breathtakingly beautiful and captures a way of living that may well soon be lost forever across the globe.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 April 2014
This is a fantastic book, it is really quite beautiful. How tribes use their natural environment
to decorate their faces & bodies.
on 8 January 2015
The most beautiful pictures of Africans in all their natural glory! A wonderful book to have in your home!