Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 March 2010
Theoretically, the content in this book is well organised, and it does contain some great information, advice, tips and excercises, as well as references to some very useful and important work. On that score, it is worth buying.

However, it is spectacularly badly designed. Some of the typefaces are so light they are barely legible; a lot of the structural and background graphics look home-made; the 'designer' (the author, one suspects) has no acquaintance with proper design-grids. This makes for what is sometimes a difficult and slightly maddening user-experience.

Had I seen the contents in advance, I might have thought twice about buying. That isn't to say that on second thoughts I wouldn't have made the purchase, but it did come as a disappointment to find that a book about such a fundamental field of design should have been so maladroit in its own execution.
VINE VOICEon 19 November 2008
I would highly recommend this book to any architectural student, particularly those just starting out. It is full of the basics and will really strengthen your skills. Whilst this book is perfect for those just starting out, I only discovered it when I was starting Part 2 and have still found it to be an invaluable help.

A similar idea to Ching, developing basic drawing and modelling skills, I would recommend you go for this more modern and concise alternative.
on 22 November 2009
This book is an exceptional aid to anyone who needs to draw and understand spatial dynamics for their work or hobby. It does what it says on the cover - a fully detailed course in Architectural Drawing. Highly reccomended.
on 21 April 2010
This book is extremeley helpful. You may not all of it is when you first get it, but as your course progresses, it becomes more and more useful. It discusses making models, showing conceptual ideas digitally, and what is missing from other books, by hand. It also show you collaging, putting a portfolio together perspective, axonomentric and tools. It is amazing and perfect for first year architecture!
on 24 November 2010
Just what the title says. This is a wonderful aid for any student starting an architecture course, and I only wish I were recommended it before my first year. In very clear and non-patronizing way, it takes you through what to expect on an architecture course. I take for granted how little I knew when I first started, and a book like this would have alleviated so much discomfort at wondering if my drawings are looking the way they're supposed to, or if there was any better way of doing things. Takes you step by step, provides interesting insight and some great ideas. Extremely useful, even for students already on the course. 5 Star!
on 22 December 2013
This is the first thing you have to buy if you embark on the journey to become an architect. If you are expecting to be a first-year student in architecture, do it as soon as you can. Buy this book and you will be prepared for a lot of things you will have to deal with during the most hectic year you will have Y1 Architecture, note that this will particularly help if you major is BA but I think it is pretty useful for BSs.
on 16 February 2012
Im in second year of Architecture and this book is brilliant. I still feel completely lost most of the time and need to do representation techniques which I have no experience of but this book gives explanations and examples. It really backs up all those lessons learnt in 1st year and gives way more too. Absolutely brilliant, I will be keeping this with me at all times in the studio!
on 22 April 2014
This is a great book for anyone who is considering architecture as a career, or indeed for anyone interested in tackling artistic drawing and painting (sculpture even) as it develops an excellent understanding of depth and perspective.
on 26 May 2010
My wife saw this in a book shop, our son is doing architecture, and thought it looked worthwhile. I found it on Amazon at a very good price, he has found it a useful help, having a lot of different aspects.
on 30 December 2015
Good speed of delivery. The course was comprehensive, easy to understand, and gave me a greater interest in different styles of architecture, as well as a thorough grounding in the discipline.