5.0 out of 5 stars Great book but title misleading( as previous reviewer said)
As a textile student, I was hoping or rather expecting the book to show techniques like many knitting books I have purchased before.
Published on 21 July 2005 by Lucy

3.0 out of 5 stars A book for textile students and designers
Published on 9 Oct 2009 by Julie Shackson

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book but title misleading( as previous reviewer said), 21 July 2005
This review is from: The Art of Knitting: Inspirational Stitches, Textures and Surfaces (Paperback)
HOWEVER I found the book purly inspirational due to the knitting and the photographs in which the knitting has taken inspiration from. Its definately a creative book, which personally for me has given me tons of ideas for my work and inspired me so to knit than other knitting books I have looked at.
This book is fantastic for students, as it contains so many ideas and different ways of knitting to get the marks needed on a textile course. An idea would be to buy a simple 'how to knit' book before purchasing this and as your skills develop, this book would be perfect for you. I would definately recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent book, misleadingly titled, 10 July 2005
By A Customer
Having seen some of the author's freeform handknitting I bought this sight-unseen (before the publisher's synopsis was posted). This is translated from Mailles, les mouvements du fil, which is literally Stitches, the passage of yarn. The book is about stitch structures and most of the examples are machine-knitted. The core of the book is the stunning photos of knitted samples, juxtaposed with the textures of nature. Structures are elucidated by graph. A chapter to show rudimentary techniques would not equip a novice to reproduce the stitches. There are no garments or finished items here. My only quibble would be that choice of yarns and their impact on finished textiles are barely touched on.I suggest that this book is essential for textile students and innovative designers. It is not for the average home knitter.

3.0 out of 5 stars A book for textile students and designers, 9 Oct 2009
Julie Shackson "Julie Shackson" (Cardiff, UK) - See all my reviews
It should be stressed that whilst this book is invaluable for professional knit designers, textile designers and students, there is little for the home knitter with a pair of knitting needles here. Basic stitches are covered, but the majority of the book is for those with access to huge machines and a technician to translate the designs. Having said that, the photographs are lovely, and there is cunning use of photoshop to blend the photographs of nature with the stitches.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure inspiration, 15 Aug 2009
This book is essential for textile students.
The first thing I love about this book are the photographs of natural landscapes and textures that could be translated into knit. It really opened up a whole new way of looking at things for me and has shaped the way I take photographs for my projects.
Secondly I love the pictures of the knitted samples. Everytime I look through this book I find something I haven't spotted before -I've owned it for a couple of years and it has never been neglected for more than a few weeks.
I really think the idea for this book was to collect samples that the reader would have no idea how to recreate at first- encouraging experimental development which I've found never leads you to a precise reproduction, coaxing you into creating even more exciting ideas!
I was a bit worried about buying this book because it is slightly more exspensive than the average textile book. But believe me- it is well worth the money- twice over!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 10 Sep 2013
I love this book so many inspiring ideas to help create your own style. sadly my copy was stolen from me so i will buy again and not let it leave my side

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book in my reference library!, 11 May 2013
Amazon Customer (ALBA IULIA, Romania) - See all my reviews
Been handknitting all my life and recently I added machine knitting to my skills. I am fascinated with intricate fabric textures and colors and I've always found it hard to go beyond established paths. I am glad I tried to learn all the techniques I could find in books and the internet so now I can make the most of this book without worrying too much about the basics. Up until now I was proud I could knit the patterns designed for advanced knitters. I was never satisfied with my own creations because I felt somehow limited but this book opens new possibilities. I want to thank the author for giving me a new prospective! My own hands and my seven machines will go a long way from here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Birthday present, 11 Oct 2009
Ms. D. Robinson "D.Robinson" (Blackpool. U.K.) - See all my reviews
This book was bought as a birthday present. I am sure it will be great.

The Art of Knitting: Inspirational Stitches, Textures and Surfaces
The Art of Knitting: Inspirational Stitches, Textures and Surfaces by Françoise Tellier-Loumagne (Paperback - 13 Jun 2005)