4.0 out of 5 stars A good companion
Published on 21 Nov 2007 by Wim Jacobs

3.0 out of 5 stars I expected better from a Yale professor
This is an average book, and average always disappoints. Much information is qualified with terms like "must have" and "surely". In one word, then, conjecture.
Published on 2 May 2004 by J. R. Ekins

4.0 out of 5 stars A good companion, 21 Nov 2007
Wim Jacobs "ishpuini" (Belgium) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Angkor and the Khmer Civilization (Ancient Peoples and Places) (Paperback)
I read Coe's book on the Maya when visiting the Mayan sites in Guatemala, and I liked it very much. So it was only normal that I would get his book on the Angkor civilization when visiting Cambodia. I read it throughout the three week trip and it offered important background during the visits. Though not going in the utmost detail I found it covered most aspects well enough and as such it enhanced my visits very much (though I didn't take it with me on the sites themselves, its being slightly too heavy for that made it stay in the hotel mostly).

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book & service, 21 Feb 2013
This book examines the Khmer & Angkor civilizations their history & development architecture agriculture & religion. I would recommend reading "The Civilization of Angkor" by Charles Higham first then progressing to the above tome.

3.0 out of 5 stars I expected better from a Yale professor, 2 May 2004
J. R. Ekins "chunky" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
At other times, Coe seems to believe what he wants to believe. P205 - "These, as well as the seventeenth-century Chinese and Japanese graffiti painted on columns of the Cruciform Gallery, give valuable information on the social, political and even commercial culture of the epoch". I'm not sure I agree with this. It's an unsubstantiated statement. It gives valuable information about the people who did the writing. Beyond that, I'm not sure how indicative it is of a whole "epoch".
There is no mention about the effects of monsoons on the barays (reservoirs). Did the barays flood, or did they catch all the water that fell on their vast area? Or did they drain it off somewhere? I have no idea from this book.
I have not yet visited Cambodia, and am busy reading up in preparation for a visit later this year. I have gleaned from this book the names of some places I should visit in addition to the usual tourist attractions, and learned a little history. Some of the photographs and illustrations are quite stunning. I haven't found it especially rewarding reading. It has whetted my appetite, but now I need to look elsewhere to satisfy my hunger.

Angkor and the Khmer Civilization (Ancient Peoples and Places)
Angkor and the Khmer Civilization (Ancient Peoples and Places) by Michael D. Coe (Paperback - 20 Dec 2004)
Used & New from: £22.99