Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 December 2003
As a student I have found this a fantastic book and really full of good ideas. It is really practical and the bullet point information and recipes are easy to follow. The illustrations show a broad range of work including installations as well as prints and also good examples of stages in screenprinting and making the different types of positives. I find this book invaluable.
on 9 January 2011
This is a beautifully produced book with lots of information,but I think it is very much geared for the serious practioner/student and not so helpful for the kitchen table artist.

Read in conjunction with some other simpler books I have found it to be quite helpful. It is inspirational to see the Barbara Rae, Wilhemina Burns-Graham and Mary Newcomb prints and how they are built up.

Lascaux products are the printing colours etc., used in the book and mentioned incessantly and this means that the terms used are more difficult to understand if you are using different manufacturers products. It also seems very Americanised in the terms used, so I was surprised to see that the authors practised in Scotland.
on 16 April 2008
A really thorough review of the best practices behind water-based screenprinting, including detailed breakdowns of complex multi-layer registrations.

The book leans a little heavily on the promotion of Lascaux products for my liking, but is a really inspiring read nonetheless - recommended!
on 7 June 2010
An excellent book that takes you through the processes and gives lots of tips and advice. A book you can keep dipping into and learning more every time. Highly recommended.
on 6 December 2009
Too much information for one human to take in, but take it in small chunks and you won't go wrong. It's all good. The possibilities are endless and that can be daunting, but stick with it.
on 7 August 2014
This book is really for someone who has a studio or at least has the room and the notion of making a studio. You will not find anything for beginners in this book. It is really for someone who is doing fine art prints and not a casual novice wanting to print a few tshirts. The lay out of the book is terrible and you are kind of expected to understand a fair bit about screen printing in the first place. It is really a reference guide rather than a practical guide to printing.
on 23 August 2013
It is instead very technical and mostly deliberates over the wrongs of past printing methods. I bought this book in anticipation of reading more about the complete water based system of screenprinting. It does deal with this, but you have to read nearly the whole book about the toxicity of past oil based methods to find this. I didn't really want to read about methods I wasn't interested in. As a beginner to screen printing I felt this book really had little to offer me.
on 26 March 2015
The only really good, informative an up to date book on the subject.
on 9 May 2015
Instructive, and full of solid info
on 29 November 2003
When I received this book I expected to be awash with simple instructive and informative method of working. I also expected to get ideas and inspiration from the book although I didn't feel like they put the right type of information in especially for the practicing students. I was rather disapointed and feel that my money could have been better spent