5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction
This book covers all the types of celtic ornament in a way that is both scholarly, informative and pretty. Good place to start.
Published on 7 April 2001

2.0 out of 5 stars Unimpressed and dissapointed
For a book on design this is greatly lacking in clear sensibly sized pictures. What is there is a series of dark black blobs that require a magnifying glass to look at. It is also awfully wordy, most of which is pointless or inaccurate.
I was hoping for a source of inspiration for my artwork, what I got was bored and frustrated.
Celtic knotwork, the most famous...
Published on 30 July 2003 by Kash

2.0 out of 5 stars Unimpressed and dissapointed, 30 July 2003
This review is from: Celtic Design: A Beginner's Manual (Paperback)
Celtic knotwork, the most famous style of celtic design is totally omitted, and instead half the book is full of calligraphy. One small detail here... the celts did not write, and in the rare case they did, they certainly didnt make illuminated manuscripts, just knotches on stones (ogham).
So what we have is a lot of writing, and few pictures (which is a big problem in a 'design manual') a few muzzy images of authentic celtic work and a lot of celtic inspired calligraphy.
I give it two stars as a sort of apology, I can't totally slate it because I havn't throughly gone over the whole book (because I found it irrelevant to my cause) so I can't say it is all bad it also has a few step by step designs, which is good, but it certainly does not do what it says on the cover!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction, 7 April 2001
By A Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stating place., 5 Oct 2013
This review is from: Celtic Design: A Beginner's Manual (Paperback)
As someone just starting this art form I found the book a great starting point. Rather wordy but I enjoy background information. I would have like the illustrations a little larger but I found I was able to use them. I like the fact that he Irish letters ar included as it is whatwe think of when lookin at Celtic "writing"

Celtic Design: A Beginner's Manual
Celtic Design: A Beginner's Manual by Aidan Meehan (Paperback - 2 April 1991)
Used & New from: 0.01