4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction
This book is an excellent introduction to contemporary photographic themes and practitioners, it's well-written, up-to-date and great value for money.

Unfortunately, because so much ground is covered in such a small space, it's hard to get a true appreciation of some photographers' work when it is summarised down to one or two sentences. Similarly, virtually...
Published on 15 Aug. 2006 by Mr. D. N. Sumption

2.0 out of 5 stars Try to see a copy first...
This book contains over 200 of the most boring and sterile photographs you are ever likely to find in one place. Charlotte Cotton also writes in an archaic style which does not make for easy reading. So it's a Thumbs Down from me.

Presented rather like an academic thesis, putting the works into categories is useful but it seems strange that the author needs...
Published on 12 April 2013 by Mike R

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting,, 15 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Photograph as Contemporary Art (World of Art) (Paperback)
This was recommended to me, read it once, haven't used it for my dissertation or for any referencing since reading.

Not too interesting from my own perspective, but it does have some points to benefit the way I shoot

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful book, 4 Aug. 2014
The photography student's bible. A great introduction to photography, touches on most areas you will need in a first year and beyond as a reference book. Not too in-depth but a good starting point for further research.

5.0 out of 5 stars cheap price, top quality book, 27 Jan. 2013
im a film and photography student and this is by far my best book in my studies! i would recommend this to anyone in university studying photography or art

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely book, 3 Jan. 2014
my daughter loved this and found it very useful as she is studying photography and art.it has many images,and lots of narrative,and is excellent quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent introduction, 24 Nov. 2013
I am new to this subject and I thought this was an excellent introduction and I am sure I will refer back often in the future

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it!, 20 Jan. 2014
No further comments needed - the book is a MUST HAVE for everyone interested or working in the photography field!

5.0 out of 5 stars Course requirement and interesting read, 20 Sept. 2014
This book was on my reading list for a photography course and has been very illuminating. It gives an overview of the subject and many of its practitioners.

4.0 out of 5 stars Review, 21 Sept. 2010
A Kid's Review
A Very good book. Though i do need a dictionary beside me to decipher some of the words DOH!

3.0 out of 5 stars my view on this product, 8 Jan. 2010
Marie-louise Hall (UK) - See all my reviews
I'm studying a photography course at University, I bought this book as my lecturer told me it would give me a good insight into the many photographers and some history of the subject but in a different way to the other books which are available. However, all though I am bright in understanding and learning, the vast amount of wide vocabulary which I do not usually use, made it hard for me to get on with this book. I would have loved the book had it got more simple terms, but because it hadn't I struggled to finish it. Maybe it's just my understanding of photography, or the fact that i'm only 19?

It's a good book, but takes some getting used too.

M. x

4.0 out of 5 stars great insight into todays photography, 17 May 2009
Every photography degree student should have one! Great outlook and informative on photography today.

The Photograph as Contemporary Art (World of Art)
The Photograph as Contemporary Art (World of Art) by Charlotte Cotton (Paperback - 17 Aug. 2009)
Used & New from: £1.07