4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction
This book is an excellent introduction to contemporary photographic themes and practitioners, it's well-written, up-to-date and great value for money.

Published on 15 Aug 2006 by Mr. D. N. Sumption

2.0 out of 5 stars Try to see a copy first...
This book contains over 200 of the most boring and sterile photographs you are ever likely to find in one place. Charlotte Cotton also writes in an archaic style which does not make for easy reading. So it's a Thumbs Down from me.

Published 15 months ago by Mike R

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction, 15 Aug 2006
Mr. D. N. Sumption (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Unfortunately, because so much ground is covered in such a small space, it's hard to get a true appreciation of some photographers' work when it is summarised down to one or two sentences. Similarly, virtually all photographers are represented by a single image which, due to the format of the book, is often too small for practical purposes. Many of the phographers work demands to be seen as a series if it is to be understood.

These failings are unfortunate but, given the size and price of the book, inevitable. After reading this you will certainly find yourself seeking out more detailed information on many of the artists featured, but you will at least have a clear overall picture of the contemporary art-photographic scene.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good catalog of contemporary artists, 7 April 2009
L. Gonzalez - See all my reviews
Opposed to what is said in the introduction this is actually a "checklist of the photographers who merit a mention in a discussion on photography as contemporary art (...) in major art centers such as New York, Berlin Tokyo or London". That is it. A good, handy sort of "who is who" type of catalog of contemporary artists and trends.

5.0 out of 5 stars superb, 18 Mar 2006
tony bowen (brighton, east sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is a truly brilliant introduction to the themes and issues in contemporary art photography; very well-written and accessible, it touches on the work of an interesting and truly international selection of current photographers and artists who use this medium. Using a collection of broad and interlocking themes, it provides an indispensible scaffolding upon which those unfamiliar with current "art-think" can make sense of this demanding and constantly changing discipline. This book is amazingly unpretentious, with language which is engaging, clear and concise. It is impressively up to date, and (especially for the price) the choice, number and quality of reproductions is remarkable; a must for all students of art and design. Charlotte Cotton should be congratulated and commissioned to re-write this book every five years.

2.0 out of 5 stars Try to see a copy first..., 12 April 2013
Mike R (Cornwall, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Photograph as Contemporary Art (World of Art) (Paperback)

Presented rather like an academic thesis, putting the works into categories is useful but it seems strange that the author needs to explain why each image has a place in contemporary fine art photography. To my mind an image should speak for itself. To be up there with the best, contemporary or otherwise, it needs ideally to stop you in your tracks, trigger an emotional reaction, engage the imagination or at least make you think. I love edgey, non conformist images which break the dreaded "rules" but I'm afraid very few in this book do that. Indeed it is their very "ordinariness" which seems to get most of them into the book at all. Very odd!

Students of photography should be aware of work by the likes of Tillmans, Gursky and Wall, but is it possible that many contemporary photographers are deliberately producing work which is mundane because that is what leading galleries and collectors want? They say if you want to get noticed then be controversial but surely not with photographs which bore the pants off everyone.

For me most of what is in the book is neither good contemporary photography nor good art. Add to that the arcane way it is written and I'm sorry but I cannot recommend it. I've given it two stars rather than one because it's cheap from Amazon. My copy will now go to a charity bookshop where potential buyers can flip through it before deciding whether or not it is for them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative and interesting, 7 Feb 2011
This is the first book of this kind I've read. Having recently started a Photography degree I was recommended this book by my tutor. Up to now I've been one of those who thinks a lot of what is nowadays called art to be absolute rubbish, preferring instead to wallow in the traditional "if it looks like a beautifully painted forest scene then it's art, if it looks like a table leg with an apple taped to it - it isn't" kind of view. I have to say right now that Charlotte Cotton has taken my philistine, blinkered view and transformed it into something more appreciative of the many forms art can take. Not an easy task I can assure you.

When I first started reading this book I really thought I would be quite dismissive to what it had to say, but within the first chapter I felt the way Charlotte described the ideas behind certain styles really started to resonate with me. By the end of the first chapter I was hooked, almost to the point where I was flicking ahead to see what the other chapters were called and what else I would be covering.

This book is a journey! It's really not light reading and I found I did have to concentrate on every page in order to absorb what point Charlotte was making on behalf of the photographers and styles that are represented. Some of the English used is what I consider typical of someone at Charlotte's level of understanding of art and there are times where I've known every word being used in the sentence or paragraph but struggled to understand the actual meaning. Something I found to be really useful for me was to open Wikipedia on the bits I was struggling to understand and use it in conjunction with her descriptions to get the full picture.

At the end of this book you will have an appreciation of photography's role within contemporary art even if you don't particularly like a style being discussed (I'm sorry, but I really don't like Deadpan at all). You don't have to like something to appreciate what goes into it andr what it's trying to convey.

I recommend this book to anyone who could relate to my first paragraph. It's not going to be an easy ride at times but it's most certainly an enlightening one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Deep heat, 3 Nov 2010
This is not for the faint-hearted or for the happy snapper. The language is very academic and the arguments and deep and heated, but it opens new vistas that other wise I would not have explored. I do not go along with all of the propositions, but it made me think and that is no bad thing for a septuagenarian!!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent introduction to the subject., 10 Mar 2005
By A Customer
This book gives an excellent introduction to photography as a contemporary art form. Arranged in clear sections dealing with aspects of art photography, such as the deadpan approach, or photography of, and as, an artistic act, the book gives a brief description of each approach discussing its key photographers in turn. The pictures, though small, are well chosen and fascinating. If you've ever felt there is more to photography read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars good book, 31 May 2010
Phoebe Dixon (UK) - See all my reviews
This book has come in to much use as I'm taking A.S photography, this book covers most sections of contemporary art with a good amount of information on each artist. With this book I'm never short of an artist to write about.Also this book is around A5 so you ca carry it around with you which also helps if you want to carry it around.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting,, 15 Mar 2014
This was recommended to me, read it once, haven't used it for my dissertation or for any referencing since reading.

Not too interesting from my own perspective, but it does have some points to benefit the way I shoot

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it!, 20 Jan 2014
No further comments needed - the book is a MUST HAVE for everyone interested or working in the photography field!

The Photograph as Contemporary Art (World of Art)
The Photograph as Contemporary Art (World of Art) by Charlotte Cotton (Paperback - 17 Aug 2009)
Used & New from: 4.55