on 18 July 2002
Chadwicks masterly study of women in European art is incredibily well researched. She manages to uncover the forgotton contribution of women to the arts and the context of the contemporary worlds they lived within. Her dicussion of the major ideological trends in society and the arts is impressive. While it could have included more discussion on the non Anglo-American art scene, the book has proved invaluable in understanding the complexities of women in art history.
on 24 August 2006
This book presumes the reader has a good knowledge of art history etc., and goes into great depth with much detail. As I was looking for something more general I found it heavy going in places and thought the last sections devoted to modern art disappointing with quesionable examples. I think we all have an instinct for what is good art, and a lot of these simply aren't - they separate the masses from art, rather than integrate. Apart from that, it's good value, plenty of illustrations and well written. It'll stay on my shelf as a reference book I can dip into from time to time.
on 1 February 2004
Chadwick's book is the definative in this genre, an absolute must read for anyone wishing to research this field.
on 24 November 2012
Poor really with naff images. Not inspiring for people interested in art really. There are cheaper books which are more interesting. ~I found it unpickupable!