on 11 July 2003
This book is a great read for those interested in architecture even if your interest is in modern eras. The book is not *very* in depth but it details many important pieces of information about these sites. The collection of structures are all worth their inclusion in the book even though the essays about 6 of the 7 ancient "Wonders of the World" are mostly speculation about how they were built.
An engaging reference book to ancient architecture and an enjoyable read for those seeking greater knowledge but this would not be essential for those who wish to delve deeper into the more intricate details of physical construction.
on 19 August 2015
Just got this book because I am interested in the subject.
Before I bought I compared it online with Justin Pollard's "Wonders of the Ancient World".
What this book had over the Pollard book was that it contained 70 wonders instead of the 40 in Pollard.
It spreads those 70 over about 280 pages and Pollard has 40 spread over 190.
What Pollard had over this book by Chris Scarre is that it had many more good reviews on Goodreads, and it is much more recent.
Also you could see inside the Pollard book and the pictures were very good. However it was harder to obtain secondhand.

What disappointed me greatly about Seventy Wonders are the pictures. Fully half of them are in black and white!
This gives the book and outdated feel as this is not a subject that does well with black and white pictures. It looks grainy and lacks vibrancy.
Each wonder gets about two or 3 pages and sometimes the main photograph accompanying it is black and white.

Otherwise the text is fine and I did appreciate the few artists impression for the seven wonders of the world.
But there are far too many black and white pictures here for this to satisfy what I was looking for, and compared to the Pollard ( which I have just purchased) it pales in this area. I have marked it down two stars because of this. It is an expansive book, but because of the inadequate pictures I found myself looking them up online anyway. In conclusion, while it is not without value, I at least should have gone for the Pollard book instead.
on 10 March 2001
This book is a perfect choice for anyone who is interested in seeing wonders from all over the world, not just one area. It is practically a whole library of the ancient world on it's own!
on 21 April 2016