5.0 out of 5 stars A visual classic
I found this book in the wrong section of a bookshop in Borders Bluewater whilst looking for a italian cookbook. If I hadn't seen it in with the receipe books I am quite sure I would have never picked it up and then I would not have known what I was missing.

Published on 30 July 2006 by Mr. G. Bridgeman-clarke

1.0 out of 5 stars Review of book in "new" condition
This book was supposed to be in new condition and I paid £7 for it - it was in very second hand condition - I wanted it for a friend and had to give them my copy which was in perfect condition. I think that some people must go round charity shops looking for books to sell on Amazon which they have bought for 50p!
Published 8 months ago by sarah howie-brown

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A visual classic, 30 July 2006
Mr. G. Bridgeman-clarke "Graham BC" (Rayleigh, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Derek Jarman's Garden (Hardcover)

I am into photography, and whilst I knew of Derek Jarman's garden through articles in magazines none of those articles or photos come anywhere near to bringing out the beauty of the place as the contenets of this book does. Its well palled and beautiful.

The photography is first class and this not only compliments Derek Jarmans diary pieces , it brings the book alive.

I did enjoy the prose also and you get a real feel for Derek Jarmans way of life up to his untimely death.

A nice book and highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A barren utopia, 17 Aug 2009
This review is from: Derek Jarman's Garden (Hardcover)
I love this book. I've come back to it and re-read it so many times, it's truly one of the most cherished books on my shelf. The writing and photos combine to capture a beautiful, rich snapshot of a life (and the premature end of a life). This book is the ideal present for anyone interested in art and gardening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Derek Jarman's Garden, 7 Feb 2009
A. G. Hamilton (Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Derek Jarman's Garden (Hardcover)
This is a 'must have' for anyone who loves Jarman's amazing garden on the shingle beach at Dungeness in Kent. The story of the garden's creation and the excellent photographs make fascinating reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars A glimpse of Derek Jarmans Vision, 29 Sep 2000
This review is from: Derek Jarman's Garden (Hardcover)
Derek Jarman, british film-maker, artist and activist, found solace in his garden in Dungeness during his final years and this book reflects that passion. It offers a striking view on his thoughts and ideas through the lense of the love and care that he spent of encouraging this oasis on the Kent coast. Mixed with Howard Sooleys powerful photos this book raises itself beyond the usual 'coffee-table' book to something that will be cherished for years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most beautiful books I own., 30 Oct 2008
This review is from: Derek Jarman's Garden (Hardcover)
'Derek Jarmans garden' is so special on many levels. The writing, poetry and stunning photographs all combine to make this a truly lovely book. Many of the pages bring tears but not of sadness; his passion for life and simplicity in all things is so inherent. A lovely book about an obviously lovely man, I wish I had known him. I know I would have liked him.

5.0 out of 5 stars spare beauty found in a book, 18 Jun 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Derek Jarman's Garden (Hardcover)
Derek Jarman, the filmmaker and sometime Artist, was a prolific creator of things rich and strange: a prime example of which is his garden. This was, arguably, his most important work. A thing that acted as a moving testament to both his æsthetic and human beliefs - a spare beauty is found in his garden, nestled in the single of Dungeness.
This book manages to capture the essential and luminous aspects of this garden through the poetry and prose of Jarman himself, and Howard Sooley's ravishing photographs. This is a definite "must" for anyone wishing to know more about Derek Jarman...

5.0 out of 5 stars contrasts with a sharp edge, 4 April 2011
This review is from: Derek Jarman's Garden (Hardcover)
This book contains a collection of photos, reflections and short glimpses outlining the atmosphere at a most remote and fateful location where it seems a miracle that anything can grow. At the edge of everything Derek Jarman had a place for collecting things and thoughts, growing and managing plants in a garden. The book offers a moment of regarding the everyday life - and the border between life and death, threat and safety - on a distance and inspires to thoughtful gardening beyond everything which is associated with the ordinary and smooth.

5.0 out of 5 stars A minor miracle., 19 Dec 2010
Adrian Drew (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Derek Jarman's Garden (Hardcover)
What an impressive book this is! How humane and inspirational. Jarman was an extraordinary artist and a compassionate human being and this "slight" volume somehow manages to capture so many aspects of his work and personality. It is warm, touching, and filled with both artistic and social insight without the hint of presumption, pretentiousness or vulgarity. Not for everyone perhaps but for those of us who need reassurance that art can illuminate life, this book is a must.

4.0 out of 5 stars beauty, 25 Oct 2011
This review is from: Derek Jarman's Garden (Hardcover)
I read a review by Tim Richardson after I bought this beautiful book saying'this is the great garden book of the past quarter century'It is very inspiring, the photography is superb and the text has poetry and great ideas especially good if there is part of your garden you want to improve but is difficult to cultivate if Derek Jarman can make it grow at Dungeness surely we can in suburbia!

5.0 out of 5 stars inspirational &beautiful relates to human spirit & gardens, 13 Jun 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Derek Jarman's Garden (Hardcover)
beautiful photographs illustrate jarman's journey with his developing garden. unique and wonderful. we are also sadly witness to his declining health as the dungeness shale blossoms under his inspired care.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Derek Jarman's Garden
Derek Jarman's Garden by Howard Sooley (Hardcover - 5 Jun 1995)