5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiration for any knitter
Published on 17 Dec 2010 by Freespirit

2.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Pattens but 3 ply Aran?
I ordered this booked after seeing it on amazon whilst looking for an Aran patten, I so liked the tunic style womans jumper that I bought the book purely for that patten, thinking i knew what quantity of wool would be needed I bought that and waited for the book to arrive. So very very disappointed, although the knitted garments look very nice indeed I was most annoyed...
Published 17 months ago by belladonna

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiration for any knitter, 17 Dec 2010
Freespirit "bo3ss" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Aran Knitting: New and Expanded Edition (Dover Knitting, Crochet, Tatting, Lace) (Paperback)
I purcahsed this book because I liked the picture on the front cover. I am an expert knitter and having read many books, mainly from the USA, which provide a lot of incorrect information relating to Aran patterns and the history of Aran, I was expecting yet another USA author going over the same old INCORRECT information. What I actually found a a true gem of a book. The author, who is Scottish gives a very accurate history on the development of Aran knitting. Aran knitting is not as 'ancient technique' as some of the American authors of Aran knitting would have you believe dating back to the Celts, but is firmly grounded in the late 19th/20th century (Amazing, isn't it?). The author then goes onto describe various techniques and I am pleased to say, dispels some of the myth and 'legend' which has grown around this beautiful knitting style. Moving on from the history of Aran knitting, the author then sets out in a straightforward manner, how to knit Aran. Her claim that Aran is easy to knit is absolutely spot on! Any knitter, even a beginner who can knit 1, purl 1 can knit Aran. A dialogue is accompanied by clear step by step pictures so literally anyone can follow the technique.
Although the author details much of her patterns in chart form, once you get used to reading them, they are easy to follow. The thing about this book which really does blow you away are the designs. These have been designed by the author herself and go beyond the 'bog standard' patterns you can find on the web or in shops. These patterns are breathtaking and would certainly become 'heirloom' pieces. There are patterns given for various weights of wool i.e Standard tradition Aran, double knitting and 4ply (equivalent to shetland wool brokers 2ply- Jamieson and Smith. You will not fail to be inspired by what you find in this book and I am sure that you will end up knitting every pattern eventually.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 26 Feb 2011
There are some beautiful patterns in this book. The photographs are attractive, the charts easy to follow if you keep your wits about you! I have been keen to try aran for a while now but always thought it would be too difficult. But if i can manage you can too! I checked out the author's recommended website for wool, thought it was a bit pricy and was looking for alternatives, but I felt it would do the pattern justice to go for the original. How glad I am! I am doing St Brigid in Pebble Beach and the texture and colours are amazing!The wool arrived within a few days, beautifully packed and in hanks so you need to wind them first, but excellent quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Knitting, 24 April 2011
For anyone who loves ARAN knitting this is a must have. The most beautiful designs made it quite difficult making a choice of which to make. The presentation is excellent and the illustrations exquisite, as you can see I'm more than pleased! I first knitted an Aran minidress when I was sixteen (five decades ago) and my daughter still wears it as a sweater. Fantastic book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Aran knitting pattern book, 21 May 2011
Bought this book as a gift for my mum and I am wearing one its designs right now. So I can definitely recommend this product. My mother is not an expert knitter as such and could follow the patterns without any problems. Plenty of pictures to go with every pattern. Was spoilt for choice as to which item to do first! Product is highly recommended. Fast prompt service from Seller can highly recommend. A++++++++++

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Guide to Aran, 27 Nov 2010
Zeb (Cumbria, UK) - See all my reviews
If you're already keen on Aran knitting or want to have a go, this is an excellent book. Lots of detail,diagrams and some lovely patterns.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely the best knitting book I have ever purchased. Buy it!, 7 Oct 2011
I bought this book after seeing it on the high street. I just had to buy it! The photography is lovely, the patterns are just fabulous and the instructions and charts brilliant. I particularly love the shawls and am just about to start one. This book is very inspiring for both new knitters and experienced alike. I will be buying more books from this author as I wish to make seriously nice items!

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning superb book, 15 May 2013
I have folders containing many aran knitting patterns. All now destined for the local Hospice shop. This book simply means I dont need any of the ones in my folder any longer. The instructions are easy to follow even for a beginner such as myself. I have completed the pattern on the front of the book in about a fortnight, and it wasnt difficult whatsoever. About to order yarn online for another pattern in it this week. I have found regular DK yarn (knitted a swatch to make sure) in pure Scottish wool was a perfect replacement for the strange yarn suggested in the book. All the patterns in this book are do die for, and all use charts - my preferred choice as it happens. The patterns have a modern twist to them, even my teenager daughters (17 and 19) have earmarked a pattern for me to complete before Christmas this year - Praise indeed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Aran Knitting, 1 Aug 2012
This book has also got a great range pattern to wear; knitwear you would not find in high street shop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Book, 20 April 2013
This is a great 'bible' for cables knitting, albeit for an experienced knitter, some so amazingly complicated and wonderful. For newbies, the contents are something to aspire to do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Très beau livre, bien fait, 21 Feb 2013
Livre splendide, avec de nombreux points et des grilles claires et très bien expliquées pour chaque motif. Certains sont époustouflants. Parfait pour qui cherche des "points irlandais" qui sortent de l'ordinaire.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›