5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting (pardon the pun), 13 July 2012
Pyewacket "czarnowice" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I love fairy tales as they usually have a moral in them but that aside it is the stories that fascinate me the most. The stories in this Pink Fairy book are from a wide range of countries, from Demark to Japan but basically the premise is the same as in all fairy stories. A King has a beautiful daughter who won't marry so is sent away from home, a Mother and Father who can't make ends meet so send their 3 sons out into the world to make their fortune. The hideous hag and the malignant Dwarf banished by good. These are tenants that run through all fairy tales whether they are English, Swedish, German or indeed from any country in the world.

A lovely little book to perk your spirits up on a rainy afternoon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprising!, 30 April 2011
vwaves (Cornwall, England) - See all my reviews
I love reading fairy stories. This was very interesting. Mind you some of the stories are really gruesome. And all those sons who do the wrong thing!!!! I wonder what on earth children would make of these stories. And I wonder why they were written as they are not always the best morals to follow.
We are so used to Grimms and other familiar stories that is fascinating to come across new versions and completely new stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars good, 28 Dec 2012
This book is very fascinating and teaches you lessons for the future. I couldn't get my eyes off it because it was so interesting

4.0 out of 5 stars pink fairy book, 8 Nov 2012
Made me feel very nostalgic, read all these as a child and wanted to revisit. Really enjoyed reading it, Loved it

5.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing books, 1 Jun 2011
Kate.Tudor (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
As a child in the mid-1960s, I devoured the Pink, Green, Blue and all the other colour Fairy Books edited by Andrew Laing. I don't remember them as being at all scary, but I do remember that they so fired the imagination of a 6 year old that I love them still.

As soon as I get my Kindle they will be some of the first books I download for a re-read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy childhood memories, but please amend the product description, 24 Nov 2011
This review is from: The Pink Fairy Book (Hardcover)
This whole series consumed me as a child growing up in South Africa in the 1970's. I was fortunate that my school had the complete set, which I read with much joy over a period of many months. I remember being steeped in fairy tales as a child and being particularly receptive to them because the stories were short enough for me to eventually read myself, while keeping my attention.

One comment I would like to make is that the term 'kaffir' used to describe the native Black peoples of Africa in the description for this book came as a great surprise to me. This word, originating in Islam, is an offensive term used to describe 'non-believers'. Ironically, it came to be adopted by Europeans when referring to Black Africans, despite its actual meaning as a pejorative toward all non-Muslims. In South Africa it came to be a profoundly demeaning term for the Black indigenous peoples. In South Africa, using this term today would almost certainly result in your arrest, such is its power to offend. While Islam still holds to the term when describing us unfortunate infidels, nonetheless it is a shame to see it surface here - so far out of context and in the rarefied air of the Kingdom of Faerie. I wonder if anything can be done about it?

5.0 out of 5 stars I think this is an exellent book., 30 April 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: The Pink Fairy Book (Paperback)
I am a teacher and I read many stories from The Pink Fairy Book to my class. They were amazed that there were so many more wonderful fairy tales that they had never seen on cartoons. I recomend this to all teachers and parents to read to treir kids.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is an exelent book for all ages., 30 April 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: The Pink Fairy Book (Paperback)
I recomend the Pink Fairy Book to parents teachers and children. It has a lot of lessons and morales an gives children an exelent experience in classical literature.

The Pink Fairy Book (Dover Children's Classics)
The Pink Fairy Book (Dover Children's Classics) by Andrew Lang (Paperback - 9 Mar 2008)