5.0 out of 5 stars This is a different type of book on the spiritual life., 8 Dec 1998
By A Customer
This book was written as a book of spiritual guidance, and an unconventional book, in that it writes about "saints", or those who have surrendered to God's will, yet outwardly do not appear to be remarkable, or seem to fall into the category of "very famous" spiritual people. He discusses things like: the traps and dangers the world imposes on such people, the fact that they are often abused and spied on diligently (and unjustly), their apparent "childishness", the face that they present to the world (often seen as laughing stocks or incompetents), versus the truth of God's workings in their lives, the nature of the world - that those who outwardly appear to be "great princes" are presenting a false face to the world, that Satan enlists regiments of scoundrels for these visible positions who wage war relentlessly against those who love God, and, in fact, that behind all this falsification stands the whole battle of human history. And, of course, that in the end the last shall be first, and God's servants shall triumph. While not in the league of some of the greatest saints' writings, it still has invaluable insights to offer, and so I recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deeply insightful and thought provoking, 3 Feb 1999
By A Customer
Fr. Caussade presents a wonderful and hopeful way of viewing our modern world and the real possiblity of attaining holiness. Each chapter returns to the basic premise that God will do the work if we simply let Him and that there is no thing of this world which will ever provide an equal possibility of peace and happiness. I treasure my 1945 copy and would welcome the opportunity to purchase another old edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars All circunstances are His gift of grace., 3 Jan 1999
By A Customer
I read this book years ago. It instantly changed my attitude. My philosophy now is "happiness is wanting what God wants." By the time any terrible event touches each of us, it has come through His Loving Hands and is His Will for us. Two books which have a similar subject and which helped me even further are: "God of all comfort" by Hannah W. Smith "Daily Strength for Daily Needs" by Mary Tileston

5.0 out of 5 stars This gave me the One-Two Punch I needed., 16 Aug 1998
By A Customer
Of all the self-help books I have read over the last 20 years, this has the most simple, direct approach to the meaning of our lives on this earth. Knowing this book has been around for so many centuries, also tells me of its long-staying value. I've recommended it recently to 5 different people, most of whom have already bought the book. When you read this, you have to be VERY receptive and TOTALLY willing to focus on each sentance, even reading each line 2 or 3 times. You can't have any distractions. Once you "GET IT", you've got it and now I look through it when I need to refresh my memory or to help keepme on track. I always worried about the future, would I have enough money to cover all future bills, whether my business was going to belly-up and I was going to loose my house because of some catastrophy. Now I look at "right now". I make each minute have value. I let go of trying to control the outcome of every happening and everyone. It's the feeling of jumping off a cliff and knowing God WILL catch me, NO MATTER WHAT. I have a feeling of lightness, and freedom, and should I start to slip into my old way of thinking, I quickly pick up the book and open it up ANYWHERE, and I am brought back to reality. I have a rainbow around me now.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic of Christian Mysticism, 27 Oct 1998
By A Customer
I have read this book twice and will read it many times again. This book will broaden your understanding of "God's will". Here's a quote: "The thing that must be noted about this will is that, to use human expressions, it seems to be casual and haphazard in its operation. So, don't read this book expecting to find a detailed ethical system; there isn't one provided. This book is a needed corrective to the soft, naive optimism prevalent in Christian and New Age circles today and the soul-destroying pessimism of modern & post-modern atheism and scepticism. - Brad Clark END

5.0 out of 5 stars A treasure of wisdom, 27 Oct 2007
Aquinas "summa" (celestial heights, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is a Christian classic of immeasurable worth. Listen to what the writer says:

"If you wish to enjoy an abundance of blessings we have only one thing to do: purify our hearts by emptying them of all desire for created things and surrender ourselves wholly to God";

"You seek for God, beloved soul, and he is everywhere, everything speaks of him, everything offers him to you, he walks beside you, he surrounds you and is within you. He lives with you and yet you try to find him. You seek your own idea of God, although you have him in his reality. You seek perfection and you meet it in all that happens to you, all you suffer, all you do, all your inclinations are mysteries under which God gives himself to you while you are vainly straining after high-flown fancies"

"The worker employed on such a tapestry sees only the back as he adds stitch after stitch with his needle, yet all these stitches are slowly creating a magnificent picture which appears in all its glory only when every stitch is done and it is viewed from the right side. But all this beauty cannot be seen as it is being created, It is the same with the self abandoned soul. It sees only God and its duty, To fulfill this duty moment by moment consists in adding tiny stitches to the work; yet it is by these stitches that God accomplishes those marvels of which we sometimes catch a glimpse now, but which will not be trully known until the great day of eternity"

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic of Christian Mysticism, 16 Nov 1998
By A Customer
I have read this book twice and will read it many times again. This book will broaden your understanding of "God's will". Here's a quote: "The thing that must be noted about this will is that, to use human expressions, it seems to be casual and haphazard in its operation. I shall call it the purely providential will of God, to distinguish it from that other aspect of his will which imposes definite obligations we must fulfill" (pg. 77). There are two sides to God's will: The providential and the prescriptive. God's providential will encompasses everything that happens, both good and evil. God does not do or prescribe evil, but he certainly permits it and uses it. The profundity of Jean-Pierre's book is his deep understanding of this fact and his understanding of the need for each Christian to abandon themselves to God in the midst of all suffering and do only what God's prescriptive will is at any moment. And what is God's prescriptive will? Jean-Pierre says it is love, but, interestingly, he assumes that you already know what the details of this love is through God's revelation of his specific obligations with the circumstances of each present moment. So, don't read this book expecting to find a detailed ethical system; there isn't one provided. - Brad Clark

5.0 out of 5 stars ABANDONMENT TO DIVINE PROVIDENCE, 26 Sep 2009
Mr. John Mcelhinney "JOHNNY in JAZZ" (SCOTLAND ( home of the HAGGIS) - See all my reviews
A VERY UPLIFTING READ,BY REV.JEAN-PIERRE DE CAUSADE WRITTEN IN 1921.
ALL ABUOT LOVE OF GOD, AND GETTING ON WITH EVERYONE, TO MAK THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE.
JOHNNY

5.0 out of 5 stars The secret of the saints., 9 April 1999
By A Customer
There are a few thousand books to help you learn - about God. This is one of the very few that helps you - know God. Let God Himself change you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Present, 12 Dec 2009
This review is from: Abandonment to Divine Providence (Dover Books on Western Philosophy) (Paperback)
This was purchased for my wife as a present. A friend had lent it to her and she loves it. There are numerous versions available but this was the one she liked. Unfortunately it is only available on the American Amazon site. However this was not a problem and it was swiftly dispatched in typical Amazon fashion.

Abandonment to Divine Providence (Dover Books on Western Philosophy)
Abandonment to Divine Providence (Dover Books on Western Philosophy) by Jean-Pierre De Caussade (Paperback - 1 Jan 2008)