5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic book!
Published on 1 Oct 2009 by CyberSewer

1.0 out of 5 stars I must be thick as.....
I bought this book because of the great reviews on it and because I wanted to learn how to draw out my own patterns, however.....

either I am incredibly thick or I am missing something here, I will explain.....

Published 5 months ago by Lotus

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic book!, 1 Oct 2009
This review is from: Make Your Own Dress Patterns (Paperback)
I love this book!! I bought it on the advice of someone in the cyber sewing community and must say that it is fab. It explains how to adjust a basic sloper pattern for darts, gathers, different sleeves, different necklines. It is excellent value for money. Though the drawings and certain of the fashions are perhaps a little dated, the techniques can easily be adjusted. And an awful lot of those fashions are... you guessed it, back in fashion. Especially the stuff from the 80s! I have so far just been reading but absolutely cannot wait to get a roll of pattern paper out and get slashing and spreading. Buy this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars What to do with your slopers!, 8 Jun 2011
This review is from: Make Your Own Dress Patterns (Paperback)
This is an excellent book about how to alter pre-made patterns or your own personalise slopers. This book DOES NOT show or tell you how to make patterns or slopers from scratch! It does however tell you WHAT to do with your slopers and how to alter ready-made patterns in orders of dart control, alterations of necklines and other style alterations.

1.0 out of 5 stars I must be thick as....., 19 Feb 2014

I have been making clothes, using patterns bought in shops for many years, I have also worked in factories as a machinist, therefore I know how to make the garments, on that side there is no problem, but I wanted to know how to draw up my own patterns for various garments, the only thing stopping me however, was the SHAPE of each piece - ie the shape of the front of a skirt, the back of a skirt, back trousers, the front of a blouse, a sleeve..... etc etc.... I wanted to know HOW I would know a shape for such pieces, but this book does not show this, in fact "shaping" is not in the index - so how do I know how to get the correct shape for the pattern pieces?

It is good for telling how to make the garments, how to alter stuff, how to move darts, pleats, seaming allowances etc - but I didn't buy this book for that and I am already able to do all those things. I bought it because it is entitled "Make your own dress patterns", but it does not includes one important factor - the SHAPES for pieces of the garment.

I have made clothes professionally, but I cannot follow this book as it does not provide me with the information that I originally bought it for. Unfortunately.

I must be missing something because this book has great reviews, perhaps I misunderstood what making my own dress pattern means.

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative and interesting, 2 Aug 2009
Lauren M. (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Make Your Own Dress Patterns (Paperback)
Have only just started to look through this book but so far have found a very large range of techniques. It was written in the 1980's so do not expect any modern fashions, however, if you are trying to alter or make a specific pattern, this book will offer a good assortment of techniques to assist you. Possibly not suitable for someone who has never worked with sewing patterns before, having said that, if you feel adventurous and have the patience, give it a go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book if you want to draft your own patterns, 26 Feb 2013
This review is from: Make Your Own Dress Patterns (Paperback)
I was sick and tired of fiddling with commercial patterns to get them to fit so decided to learn how to draft my own patterns. I bought this book which came highly recommended in a sewing blog. The information in this book is invaluable from simple dart manipulation to more complex design ideas. Although written in the 80's it is still relevant for today. The book does not cover how to draft your own basic blocks but does make a great companion book to Winifred Aldrich's book on metric pattern cutting for womenswear.

5.0 out of 5 stars make your own dress patterns, 7 Jun 2012
This review is from: Make Your Own Dress Patterns (Paperback)
I've always wanted a book like this I've been dressmaking for best part of 30 years,it'll be a long time till I know it all but this book sure will help. Brilliant

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond helpful!, 18 Jan 2011
This review is from: Make Your Own Dress Patterns (Paperback)
I absolutely love this book, I rented it from the library and after reading a good many books this is by far THE most helpful. It tells you why you do thinks and sometimes i am thinking a question in my head and the next paragraph answers that very question! Reads brilliantly, drawings are super helpful, just a fantastic book, can't wait to buy my own copy!!!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Imagination creator, 1 Oct 2013
I like this book as it shows what can be done when making your own patterns. I feel that some of the ideas are a bit advanced for me at the moment, but I feel inspired and see what is possible, some designs for necklines, body shaping, sleeve details, skirt and bodice alterations that I would never have thought of, nor are they currently in commercial pattern styles. It is amazing what comes and goes in fashion, isn't it? One to keep dipping into, and if I get braver, I convince myself that I will create my own designs from scratch. Might be some way off, though. Pity that there are only line drawing illustrations. Some photos of finished garments might have been more helpful.

2.0 out of 5 stars Infuriating book!, 19 Aug 2013
This review is from: Make Your Own Dress Patterns (Paperback)
I have attempted to use this book and it is so unclear with its directions. I think the only way it would be any use is if you've already been making things for decades. I've ended up so frustrated.

3.0 out of 5 stars Book, 2 Mar 2014
This review is from: Make Your Own Dress Patterns (Paperback)
Delivery took long time,book is ok but not as good as I did expected. I will recommend this book for professionals not beginners

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Make Your Own Dress Patterns
Make Your Own Dress Patterns by Adele P. Margolis (Paperback - 10 Jun 2006)
13.69