Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 15 November 2007
As a child I found Kay Nielsen's illustratons by turns terrifying and exquisitely beautiful. His illustrations for "East of the Sun and West of the Moon" fell into the former category, as did several of those for "In Powder and Crinoline": the black-winged North Wind striding over a churning sea; and the ghastly periwigged phantoms casting distorted shadows on the wall as they toss dice for each other's souls. Nielsen's lyrical landscapes and lovely ladies with powdered wigs and crinoline skirts belong to the latter: the white marble grecian temple atop a cliff overlooking a pool, reflecting a marble moon bridge; and the twelve dancing princesses moving secretly through a forest of slim-trunked tall trees whose trailing leaves seem like cascades of pearls and emeralds. I especially liked Nielsen's trees and recall trying to imitate them in my drawings. I also loved his star-spattered skies.

As an adult, I can see why I found many of his illustrations threatening, and I can also see why I found so many of them enchanting. His stark decorative designs with their somber palette, and his angry male figures, which I can see now are ambiguously gendered, seemed like the stuff of nightmares. At the same time, his slender princesses with their elaborately patterned silks and satins seemed like the stuff of enchanted dreams.

In either event, Kay Nielsen's illustrations are unforgettable!
on 14 October 2013
the book has a good price...but the images have a poor quality... i didn't have the possibilitie to take a look on this book before... I probably would not have bought it
on 3 October 2013
One of my favourites. Being very old, in the twilight of my Autumn, I remember prints of these pictures in my bedroom and they scared the living !!!! out of me- it was the face on the shield. My grandson had the same problem. But in the cold light of day, these are very beautiful illustrations and each one well worth framing. The book East of the sun, West of the moon is not bed time reading for little ones, but the pictures are beautiful.
Did you know Kay (Kigh) Nielsen worked for Disney and did the artwork for the little Mermaid? (1938-1942-didn;t get released until 1987 I think)
on 4 April 2015
I'm afraid I have to agree with the other low rating on the quality of this book. Although it is filled with many of Nielsen's finest works, the quality of the print is so bad and blurry that you'd have a better time looking up the same image on the internet. It's a very thin, flimsy paperback which generally looks unprofessional. Such a shame, but I'll be returning this and looking elsewhere.
on 6 July 2015
I would agree with the other low rated reviews. Whilst there is no doubt that Nielsen is an exceptional artist the prints in this book are sadly of very poor quality. Out of the 59 illustrations only 4 or 5 contain any clarity of line, with some of the later prints being hardly discernible. The cover is the clearest image and is not representative of the content. It's a pity as I bought this as a gift, if I had viewed this book in a shop I would not have purchased it.
on 5 August 2014
This man's artwork is a class apart. His illustrations are breathtaking. He is actually credited for the closing scenes in the Disney classic Fantasia where the trees become church windows. Beautiful
on 28 December 2015
The quality of the reproductions is really, really disappointing. I bought this to be able to pore over the pictures, but I can find better reproductions, at higher resolution, using Google Image.

Stay away from this.
on 7 December 2015
This book would have been beautiful if the prints were up-to scratch but I will have to agree with the other reviews - the quality is so poor, one of the worst reproductions I have seen. Unfortunately I will be returning.
on 31 May 2014
Kay ( pronounced Kai) Nielsen is one of the best fairy tale illustrators there are - colourful, fanciful, dramatic - a lovely collection.
on 2 October 2013
As a lover of Nielsen's work, I really enjoy this book. I thoroughly recommend this to lovers of this style of art. .