Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 January 2011
Whoever interested in world literature; specifically in short stories, I should say it's worth reading this small collection. You can get Melville, Maupassant, Tolstoy, Kipling, Chekhov, Rilke, Mann, Lawrence, Joyce, Pirandello, Kafka, Hemingway, Achebe, Updike & more here. World is big enough to hold in this small edition. Still covered UK, USA, France, Russia, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Czechoslovakia, Nigeria & Argentina. Advanced readers may want even more but good for who are new or after classics. These stories are considered to be all time GREAT from all over the world.
I don't like the line spaces though. Too clumsy for me! But well printed! Nicely Designed! Well Binding!
Recommended!

The World's Greatest Short Stories (Dover Thrift Editions)
on 16 October 2010
Some of these pieces are neither short nor stories but that's not always a bad thing - for example, the final piece, 'Borges and I', is an insightful two paragraph piece on the dual-identity of public personalities.

On the other hand, if you're looking for tightly plotted stories - I'd look elsewhere. As these are works by 'the greats' so to speak, they tend to substitute plot for deep ideas, beautiful description and the inner psyche of their characters - which is okay - if you like that sort of thing...
on 18 April 2014
A nice easy going short stories that was easy to follow but very entertaining. Shall look for similar in future.
on 10 February 2012
The World's Greatest Short Stories (Dover Thrift Editions)

I got this collection hoping there would be some good short stories to read to my weekly audiance of the elderly blind people near where i live. Alas, they were not impressed by this collection. And i think they are right to some extent. Maybe some short stories are best read with eyes rather than be read aloud??

I am still finding my reading voice, which could be partly to blame?
But for that price for all these stories it seemed worth a buy, but i think we are going to keep it on the shelf as a 'last resort'. OOOOppps!
on 6 October 2010
A little bit disappointed, as a great lover of short stories I was hoping for stories similar the great authors such as Guy de Maupassant and Roald Dahl, however these stories had profound meanings which I struggled to grasp (it felt a little like the English GCSE Literature Anthology) and often ended abruptly with no real story line. I find it hard to believe these are the world's greatest short stories, as the Yellow Wallpaper was terribly confusing. Perhaps I am not appreciative enough of their literary greatness.
on 13 December 2013
a book of bad and boring short stories.
do not recommend.
and so many great stories one could choose stop
on 18 June 2013
Thie book included a varied collection of stories but i didn't connect with this book as i initially thought i would
on 31 July 2014
Great mixture of stories. But rediculously small type font.
on 4 March 2015