5.0 out of 5 stars Beware This book will change your life.
This book will change the prayer life of any Christian who reads it.When I first read it some years back it made a momentous change to my approach to my personal prayer life and my relationship with God.Undoubtedly a book inspired by the Holy Spirit.
Published on 30 Jan. 2007 by B. G. Strand

3.0 out of 5 stars not for me
Good reading but not the whole picture
Published 3 months ago by winsome

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Beware This book will change your life., 30 Jan. 2007
B. G. Strand "strandbg" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Practice of the Presence of God and the Spiritual Maxims (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic gem, 23 Mar. 2011
This is a real gem, a little book to treasure and go back to again and again, full of practical wisdom to help develop your relationship with God. Brother Lawrence keeps it all so simple yet it is so profound. A must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A delight, 11 Oct. 2011
This is a lovely little book which christians from a broad spectrum of church backgrounds should be able to relate to. I have found it tremendously encouraging and plan to re-read it many times.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Practice of the Presence of God and the Spiritual Maxims, 4 Jun. 2011
Brother Lawrence was a humble man who experienced life in the presence of God to its fullest. In this little book he shares his experiences and how he learn to live everyday in the presence of God. Very inspiring little book...

5.0 out of 5 stars Very inspiring and peaceful book to read, 17 April 2012
D. Cottle "greencushion" (Birmingham) - See all my reviews
This book is excellent. Instead of being a modern book on prayer that tells you how to pray more effectively, it is more of a reflection on living the whole of life in the mindful knowledge of Gods presence. It is an encouragement to live like this through challenging and difficult circumstances as well as in the positives through the reflections of the author. The slightly archaic english only seems to enhance the slight sense of otherness you get from this book. It inspired me to think of prayer as not only something done in prayer times at specific points in a day but as a constant communication. A very interesting and enjoyable and encouraging book.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Unrivalled Classic on Walking with God, 22 May 2010
M. Maxwell-carr (UK) - See all my reviews
This is the book that has shaped my view of walking with God more than any other. It basically says: 'Just keep talking to God in your heart. Or at least just keep lifting your heart in thanks to God as often as possible! Just lift your soul in thanks to God, no matter when, or where, or what you're doing. Ask His help when you need it. Be honest and frank with God. Recognise that you're in desperate need of His mercy but know also that He loves you and has granted you His pity.' And that very message comes across again and again and again - you can't possibly miss it.

Without doubt it's the best book on communing with and praying to God that I've ever come across. The simplicity and practicality of this book is so great that I doubt it could be replaced in the category of books on prayer. What he says never gets tiresome; it only makes you want to experience God's presence more and more. It makes you want to get right down to what he tells you: why not just focus on God and praise Him even this moment? You don't even need words, just offer your love to Him. There are just no other books on prayer like it. It's short, whilst many others are twice as long. It's full of very personal examples of what it is to do as the Brother suggests, while others are lacking in intimate experiences of how to practice what is written. There is a staggering reality to what the Brother writes, because it all comes straight out of his life! His letters were real, historical letters, which expressed exactly what he lived and practiced everyday. The conversations were real events, which another personally engaged in with the great Brother. So much of the book's force comes from the fact that the author was widely regarded as a man who practiced what he wrote. His immense godliness, humility, genuine knowledge and love for God were well known by all who came into contact with him. And the Brother attributes all of his Christian growth to this simple method he offers us. That makes you think that anyone can do it - even you!

Brother Lawrence never thought that he would amount to anything at all, and he never sought to. He never intended to be a great theologian; he never read much; he never became a great preacher. All he wanted was to walk with God, as Enoch and Noah of old. Though the Brother wanted to remain quite hidden through-out his life and for all the centuries that followed, God had other plans and has made this one of the most infamous of all Christian books. I will certainly read it again, probably a few times, during my life. I wholeheartedly recommend it to all Christians, especially new believers. The sooner you get into your way of life what the Brother says, the easier it will be to retain walking with God consistently. I am an evangelical believer, of the Reformed persuasion and I've never come across such a simple, life-transforming book about how to walk with God. It is a fantastic little book and one every Christian should read at least once to really get at what the Brother is saying.

Outstanding, and outstandingly real too.
10/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Religious, 26 Dec. 2009
Good material recommended for those who seek a productive change in their personal relationship with God

5.0 out of 5 stars simple remembrance, 5 Aug. 2010
A humble seventeenth-century French Carmelite monk speaks across the centuries and his message is so simple and profound - the essence being to remember and practice the presence of God in everything you see and do with purity of heart. Father Lawrence led a cloistered life and much of it in the monastery's kitchen but whatever he was doing he offered it up and remembered his creator. As he moved about his humble daily activities he withdrew within the secret place of the soul to commune with God with simplicity and purity of heart. This he says is the way to forget the worldly self which causes the human being distress. Everything he did - even the smallest act - was done for the love of God showing that the divine presence is even in the little things of life ( c.f. Therese of Lisieux). He offered up everything.

He does warn that when we enter into the spiritual life we may at first encounter all sorts of afflictions and distress as we work on discovering who we are in the depths of our being. We will find there countless thoughts, habits and past deeds that we are ashamed of and as a result might go through trials and tribulations realising that we are totally unworthy of such infinite love that the creator wishes to bestow on us. Brother Lawrence suggests that God often puts us through this chastening in order to purify us and that we should look at such suffering as a means to growth and transformation rather than wallow in self-pity. Brother Lawrence urges us to call on aid from God to persevere in the discipline of probing the depths of who we are whilst also recollecting the divine presence in everything good or bad that happens in the circumstances of life. We need to proceed with faith and if we should do so Brother Lawrence says that we attract God's grace.

That is the basic message of this short book of 100 pages but it is a very powerful one that is worth continual reflection. I recommend this book to all those who may have started the practice of centering prayer. Brother Lawrence takes it further and shows that dwelling quietly in the Presence is not just something we do on the meditation cushion or church pew but in everything we do. In modern day parlance this way of being within action is called 'mindfulness' of the present moment. The difference is subtle and profound in that we are mindful of Christ's spirit and God's infinite love.

Meditating on Brother Lawrence's words is a helpful practice. Take for example: 'we give ourselves a world of trouble and pursue a multitude of practices to attain to a sense of the Presence of God. And yet it is so simple. How very much shorter it is and easier to do our common business purely for the love of God, to set His consecrating mark on all we lay our hands to, and thereby foster the sense of His abiding Presence by communion of our heart with His! There is no need either of art or science; just as we are, we can go to Him, simply and with single heart.' (page 62)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brother Lawrence, 9 Sept. 2011
A brilliantly encouraging little book and surprisingly readable considering its age. The book goes through methods, as the title says, to practice the presence of God and manages it to sound achievable. It stops from becoming over emotional but still acknowledges that God is real, alive and a personal relationship with him is possible.

Would definitely recommend to any Christian seriously desiring to grow in God and get to know him even better. However, many from the Calvinist/reformed side would find this book difficult, all the more reason for them to read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Practice of thePresence of God, 12 Jan. 2014
About a year ago someone recommended this little book to me for my own personal need to be closer to God. I found it very useful in its simplicity and practicality in helping me to be open to the Presence of God in my life. I gave copies to some of my companions in our Religious Community as a present for Christmas, hoping that they will receive as much from it as I have.

G Cunningham

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Practice of the Presence of God and the Spiritual Maxims
The Practice of the Presence of God and the Spiritual Maxims by Brother Lawrence (Paperback - 29 April 2005)