5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!
You get an instant picture of Victorian London, the misery and the suffering of the working classes and their appalling living conditions. Anyone researching this subject should buy it because is informative, accurate, and most important it is an eye-witness account and that is very rare indeed.
Published on 17 Jun. 2010 by Mr. Colin J. Adams

2.0 out of 5 stars I was hoping to get a good insight into Victorian London
I was hoping to get a good insight into Victorian London. As soon as I flicked through the pages I know I had made a mistake buying this. Its a heavy read and just not reader friendly. I'm in no doubt that it's a good factual book but I would only recommend if you are studying the subject as to me, it's not a relaxing pleasurable read. I gave up part-way through.
Published 6 months ago by Tony Dwyer

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 17 Jun. 2010
Mr. Colin J. Adams "silver surfer" (Northern England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The London Underworld in the Victorian Period: v. 1: Authentic First-person Accounts by Beggars, Thieves and Prostitutes (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars very interesting, but a slow read, 24 Mar. 2011
Great insight into days gone by, full of odd details and intriguing lives, but a difficult and slow read. The prejudice of some of the collectors of the information sometimes comes through, but it is nevertheless uniquely worthwhile. The accounts' authenticity mean that it is a great source of reliable information. Just dip in and out to avoid getting bogged down with the dull parts.

5.0 out of 5 stars a very interesting read!!, 3 Dec. 2013
I brought this book for my other half - a Londener himself - and have stolen it! It is a fascinating read. I love the way the accounts from some of the people are spelt as they would have spoken it so you really get a taste of the accent. We know most of the streets and places that are mentioned in the book and it's interesting to think what was happening there before we were walking around and drinking in all the pubs! I'd recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in history and loves London. It really does have a character all of its own and is full of people who are unlike any other. 5 stars, I'm so glad I brought it!

5.0 out of 5 stars fascinating, 10 Nov. 2014
Henry Mayhew. He must be a strong contender for the most prolific journalist of his time, having read similar work from his journeys around Victorian London I'm more than happy to recommend anything he has a hand in!

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoying, 1 Nov. 2012
This book says as much about the social and moral opinions of the writer as about the criminals of the time. Very enlightening and entertaining

5.0 out of 5 stars Charlie Midnight liokes Henry Mayhew!, 31 Aug. 2014
Original Mayhew. For a reader of British social history like myself, Mayhew is a 'must' Thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 26 April 2015
great book . very good

2.0 out of 5 stars I was hoping to get a good insight into Victorian London, 8 Oct. 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern History, 11 May 2007
This book confirms that what is happening NOW is not new. Adultery - prostitution is as old as time.

Only the names have changed.

A look at today through the eyes of the past proves that people have always lied - cheated - commited adultery and gone behind the backs of their partners.

This book is PROOF that you always HURT the one you love - and that you didnt realise what you HAD until you LOST it.

A heavy read but with a message we could all learn from.

It educates and entertains...