5.0 out of 5 stars Carry Your Conscience in Your Pocket
I purchased this book to read on my android phone for a song ~ and the song which this book sings will now remain with me until I breathe my last.

Published on 24 Oct 2010 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Language issue!
Love the book but this version is in old English language so hard to read. Since purchased a newer translation of this work.
Published 4 months ago by Colin Wimsett

5.0 out of 5 stars Carry Your Conscience in Your Pocket, 24 Oct 2010

I was heavily into it in the 1980's, when I also loved it, when it became an in-pocket guide, neatly bound and stitched. I would open its small pages only to find myself sucked into the quiet area of the mind, the conscience, the place where we all go when we have the courage to be honest with ourselves. After every trip to this deep quiet corner I'd close the door behind me, refreshed, invigorated and ready to go out into the world and meet it with humility and joy. So deeply was I absorbed that I would sometimes gasp and think "If only everybody in the world would read this book, there would be no wars, no fighting or tension. Peace would break out in a Big Way and infect the entire planet." My preoccupations would increase and people would enquire, "What are you reading?" which was when my problems began: In this day and age it is rather off-putting, at least for people like me, for it gave the impression that I was a Raving Christian, and that is what I am not.

I am in fact a Raving Nobody, a person who hates to align himself with any creed, belief or group, as I believe that truth is universal and that people are people, that we should act with kindness and consideration to all men, indeed all of the animal, plant and mineral kingdom. So to be invited to people's pet churches and belief systems and to present yourself as a wise person was not my idea of a fun time. In fact it went totally against the grain of everything this deep, wise little book was saying. So away went the book, to settle into the back of the mind to compost itself away.

It surfaced again with the arrival of the Kindle, which appeared as a great device to hold in your hand, and later in a version you could read on your mobile phone. That also was the moment at which the book rose up from the ashes, shiny and new and gleaming and, as it seemed to me, more powerful than ever before. Or perhaps the power was the same, and some of my encrustations have crumbled off. Who knows?

I was stuck in a long queue in ASDA: a man was having a problem with his card and had to wait. People with loads were shifting uneasily, some still waiting to place their goods onto an already laden conveyor belt. Some of them brought out their phones to study their mini-screens and I followed suit, just an ordinary guy swimming in a wave of ordinary people. I read two verses, and everything fell quiet.

The queue began to move and before long it was my turn to pay. Everything was fine, God was in his heaven and all was indeed right with the world. It was a lovely drive back home.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

When working with this book, bear in mind the context as to where it was written. The author furnished his stunning work with imagery and words which were current at the time, and when we consider this, we readily understand that you don't have to be a Christian to drink its nectar.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Imitation of Christ, 9 Jun 2012
J. Collins - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Imitation of Christ (Dover Thrift Editions) (Paperback)
A wonderful read. Recommended by none other than St Therese of Lisieux!!

It contains fabulous insights and deep meditations on the teachings of Jesus, as well as the Church Fathers, back to the time of the early Catholic Church - the time of the Apostles.

There is also some extremely helpful prayers before confession; some of which can be read verbatim in the Confessional, leading to a thorough examination of conscience and good confession.

Reading this book will definitely help your spiritual growth and understanding of your part in your salvation.

Not to be missed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Deeply challenging, 19 April 2005
Oliver Lea "Oli Lea" (Portsmouth, England) - See all my reviews
This book really moved me. There's times when you find yourself getting on the defensive because you think to yourself "Surely that's not what being a Christian is about".
But when you examine it in your head, you find that the requirement for humility, submission and self-renunciation - though perhaps not clear cut criteria for salvation - are certainly Biblically sound paths to leading a model Christian life; that is to say, imitating Christ!
The author was clearly a monk, so the exact practices he prescribes are perhaps not for everyone (for example, his call that we should spend as little time with other human beings as possible), but reading this book will certainly mould the open-minded, Christ seeking Christian to exercise new ways of living a Christ-centered life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely translation with some old elegant language, 6 Jun 2014
Leon Davey - See all my reviews
This review is from: Imitation of Christ (Hardcover)
It looks nice and the translation is enjoyable. However this book should have (IMO) been slightly wider. I say this because its pages are slightly too narrow which means the text on the pages are bound to the spine too closely, causing you to put effort in holding the page flat; otherwise when reading the text it has a slight curve to it.

I find it a little annoying and not had a book with this problem before but it is still a worthy purchase. I read a chapter a day (sometimes more.)

3.0 out of 5 stars Language issue!, 14 April 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought Provoking, 30 Nov 2013
I need to find some quiet time and space to fully appreciate this book, but Christmas hols are coming! a

5.0 out of 5 stars Not the Knox/Oakley Translation, 25 Nov 2013
Just to point out that this version, The Imitation of Christ as the preview indicates, is a re-write by Harold J Chadwick and is not the Knox/Oakley translation as a review appears to have mistakenly mentioned. The Knox/Oakley translation, all the same is very good, if you can find a copy.

The Knox/Oakley translation is The Imitation of Christ

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant production in every way., 22 July 2013
Excellent in every way. This is the second Kindle versioin I have had and surpasses the previous version in every way.
The first version was very poorly put together and thus difficult to read. This later version is almost as good as reading
from a book but better in the sense that one can have it with one all the time. I'm delighted to have this second "edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 6 Mar 2013
Ma Moreko (england) - See all my reviews
Highly recommended to understand your walk with Christ. Jesus is Lord. Trust Him all the way
Great book indeed . Thanks

4.0 out of 5 stars Imitation of Christ, 18 Jan 2013
I actually wanted "A Modern Reading" of this book but was unable to get it. I think people who buy this will actually know about the book and therefore enjoy it

The Imitation of Christ (Dover Thrift Editions)
The Imitation of Christ (Dover Thrift Editions) by Thomas à Kempis (Paperback - 10 Jan 2003)