5.0 out of 5 stars Not for the faint hearted
Published on 5 Dec. 2007 by A. D. Peel

3.0 out of 5 stars Zip?
Imitation is probably my number 3 for all time Christian books - absolutely amazing. A little surprised when this leather bound edition came with a zip which i was not expecting as not advertised. Don't like the zip very much as digs into hand whilst reading, so brought a different cheaper version which i prefer to use.
Published on 5 Sept. 2009 by Chris

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for the faint hearted, 5 Dec. 2007
A. D. Peel (Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
Outside of the Bible, this is the timeless heart of the Christian message. This was not written for priests or holy orders, but for those of us living in the world, coping with the pressures, battling with sin and temptation, holding down jobs and so on. And yet, it is a forthright rejection of our world and its temporal gods. This translation by Leo Shirley-Price is the best. It is a book you could sometimes hurl across the room in your frustration and weakness, but you will never find a passage or page that does not respond directly to your spiritual need. This is the narrow way that Jesus taught, laid out in the simplest language. There is no ambiguity here for those who prefer a more comfortable faith. It asks that you turn your back with contempt on worldly honours, wealth and power, and become, in all humility and as Thomas a Kempis says: one of the "few lovers of the Cross of Jesus". And it asks you to accept and embrace suffering if that is the result. Thomas of Kempen remains, even after 600 years, a spiritual director everyone can have access to, through this life-changing, Christian classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Christian classic, 17 Jun. 2012
Hardly my place to add to all the scholarly reviews and analysis of this work, but it is a classic book on how to live the Christian life. Despite being written ~600 years ago, it remains as relevant today as it has always been.
The translation by Leo Sherley-Price (1952) is faithful to the original Latin and still accessible today.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Imitation of Christ, 9 Jun. 2012
J. Collins - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Imitation of Christ (Dover Thrift Editions) (Paperback)
A wonderful read. Recommended by none other than St Therese of Lisieux!!

It contains fabulous insights and deep meditations on the teachings of Jesus, as well as the Church Fathers, back to the time of the early Catholic Church - the time of the Apostles.

There is also some extremely helpful prayers before confession; some of which can be read verbatim in the Confessional, leading to a thorough examination of conscience and good confession.

Reading this book will definitely help your spiritual growth and understanding of your part in your salvation.

Not to be missed.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis, 11 May 2013
This brilliant book was intended for the use of monks and nuns in their meditations, but lay people everywhere - Catholic and Protestant - have found it a great help as well. It is a marvellous introduction to the essence of Christianity. If our leaders, including Church leaders, read it every day and meditated on it, the world would be a better place. The chapters are bite-sized you could read one easily just before turning out the bedside light. For the non-Christian who is curious about the Faith, it could be a very helpful introduction, explaining why Chritians believe that or that, and what they are supposed to do. The meditation on death, which is now almost a taboo subject in society, is particularly good.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Imitation of Christ, 14 May 2010
Martin Shadbolt (London UK) - See all my reviews
Brilliant, it has something for everyone both religious and lay. It can be used over and over again, when ever you have doubts and need some reassurance you can find just what you need in the special index at the back of the book. The zipped cover adds that little bit of class, but I feel it would be better if the zip opened from bottom to top. This book would make a great present too for either religious or lay people, I will certainly be giving it a lot of use.

3.0 out of 5 stars Zip?, 5 Sept. 2009

5.0 out of 5 stars Carry Your Conscience in Your Pocket, 24 Oct. 2010
I purchased this book to read on my android phone for a song ~ and the song which this book sings will now remain with me until I breathe my last.

I was heavily into it in the 1980's, when I also loved it, when it became an in-pocket guide, neatly bound and stitched. I would open its small pages only to find myself sucked into the quiet area of the mind, the conscience, the place where we all go when we have the courage to be honest with ourselves. After every trip to this deep quiet corner I'd close the door behind me, refreshed, invigorated and ready to go out into the world and meet it with humility and joy. So deeply was I absorbed that I would sometimes gasp and think "If only everybody in the world would read this book, there would be no wars, no fighting or tension. Peace would break out in a Big Way and infect the entire planet." My preoccupations would increase and people would enquire, "What are you reading?" which was when my problems began: In this day and age it is rather off-putting, at least for people like me, for it gave the impression that I was a Raving Christian, and that is what I am not.

I am in fact a Raving Nobody, a person who hates to align himself with any creed, belief or group, as I believe that truth is universal and that people are people, that we should act with kindness and consideration to all men, indeed all of the animal, plant and mineral kingdom. So to be invited to people's pet churches and belief systems and to present yourself as a wise person was not my idea of a fun time. In fact it went totally against the grain of everything this deep, wise little book was saying. So away went the book, to settle into the back of the mind to compost itself away.

It surfaced again with the arrival of the Kindle, which appeared as a great device to hold in your hand, and later in a version you could read on your mobile phone. That also was the moment at which the book rose up from the ashes, shiny and new and gleaming and, as it seemed to me, more powerful than ever before. Or perhaps the power was the same, and some of my encrustations have crumbled off. Who knows?

I was stuck in a long queue in ASDA: a man was having a problem with his card and had to wait. People with loads were shifting uneasily, some still waiting to place their goods onto an already laden conveyor belt. Some of them brought out their phones to study their mini-screens and I followed suit, just an ordinary guy swimming in a wave of ordinary people. I read two verses, and everything fell quiet.

The queue began to move and before long it was my turn to pay. Everything was fine, God was in his heaven and all was indeed right with the world. It was a lovely drive back home.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

When working with this book, bear in mind the context as to where it was written. The author furnished his stunning work with imagery and words which were current at the time, and when we consider this, we readily understand that you don't have to be a Christian to drink its nectar.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Imitation of Christ, 9 Aug. 2012
Mr. Gerald Milner (England) - See all my reviews
Thomas a Kempis should be better known. His devotional aide is suitable to all Christians, irrespective of churchmanship. I wish I had read it years ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still a great personal help for Christians, 11 Oct. 2013
Kempis' book takes you on a personal journey of understanding the heart of Christianity. Each day you read a really helpful thought. Often written as a message from God to you or a heart felt plea to Him for help,followed by a reflection and a prayer. The original and still the best daily guide.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, 13 Feb. 2006
By A Customer
a true classic. I have read it a number of times and always find something new that I missed before. Very good devotional which will inspire.

The Imitation of Christ (Dover Thrift Editions)
The Imitation of Christ (Dover Thrift Editions) by Thomas à Kempis (Paperback - 10 Jan. 2003)