5.0 out of 5 stars A life review guide
This book answersed all of the questions i had, in terms of my own spiritual journey. It explains why the dark days are so awful and why the light days are so in abundance with joy. Having read many spiritual guidance books, in religeons across the board, i found this to be the definative guide to understanding my own true existence.

God has to make us endure...
Published on 3 Dec 2006 by L. Constantinou

3.0 out of 5 stars The way of suffering.
I expected Christian consolation and comfort but I found the hand of the Inquisition at it's strongest telling poor suffering humans that they were sinners, useless creatures and unworthy in every respect. At the end of all the suffering they are supposed to find a measure of peace, but I wonder in practice how often this happened and how often people were simply broken...
Published 16 months ago by Ms. C. Wetwood

5.0 out of 5 stars A life review guide, 3 Dec 2006
L. Constantinou (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dark Night of the Soul (Dover Thrift Editions) (Paperback)

God has to make us endure pain, desolation and deep emotion in order for us to appreciate and fully understand the path we are on. If we had only 'positive' days we would not endlessley search for spiritual fulfillment. This journey is fully explained in this book and its a reflective tool that we can use daily to enchance our understanding of a spiritual journey.

The soul is illuminated by positive experiences, the serenity felt lulls the soul into feeling comfortable. however, each stage of the journey brings a deeper, and more desolate emotion. Through this book, you learn to battle through this, and achieve a sense of calm that enables you to proceed to the next stage.

Its a book that i am able to read again and again, each time gaining a deeper understanding of my own spiritual journey. Well worth a read!.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly accurate!, 31 Jan 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Dark Night of the Soul (Dover Thrift Editions) (Paperback)
When I first started to read this book I got lost. I then skipped a few pages at the start and the rest was much easier. The more I read of the book, the more I realised how accurate it was - the problems listed in the book were the problems I was facing in my spiritual life. I had thought that I was on my own but this book gave me great comfort to see that what I was going through was so similar to the problems others had as well.
It gave me the chance to open my heart to God and see how to carry on.

5.0 out of 5 stars For those called- A MUST, 26 Sep 2011
Mrs. J. Green (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dark Night of the Soul (Dover Thrift Editions) (Paperback)
What a beautiful gift that has been waiting since the late 1580's to be revealed .One reading of each chapter in insufficient.Read again and again and let the words soak in as God reveals to each one of us where we are and who we are.Every chapter urges you to let go as if hanging from a window sill on a very very high building. HE WILL CATCH YOU!! But the falling is not an easy process. Only read this if you are called to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, if deep, spiritual reading., 6 Mar 2011
This review is from: Dark Night of the Soul (Dover Thrift Editions) (Paperback)
This book was a more up-to-date translation than one I had hitherto. An excellent study book, clear and unequivocal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Illuminating, 3 Jun 2014
This review is from: Dark Night of the Soul (Dover Thrift Editions) (Paperback)
Whatcan one say about such a book, just buy it and readit if you are at all drawn to contemplation or meditation. The path is outlined. New Seeds of Contemplation by Thomas Merton is easier reading tho

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good., 10 Mar 2014
This review is from: Dark Night of the Soul (Dover Thrift Editions) (Paperback)
Do not attempt this one on your own.
You should have a Spiritual Director.
No one should have to face this very difficult work without support and few would have the courage to face this without prayer and
guidance.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic quality, 20 Jan 2013
This review is from: Dark Night of the Soul (Dover Thrift Editions) (Paperback)
Excellent quality, like a brand new book. I would highly recommend Dover Thrift Editions and wouldnt hesitate to use them for future purchases.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark Night of the Soul, 10 Jan 2013
This review is from: Dark Night of the Soul (Dover Thrift Editions) (Paperback)
still reading it: i find it quite awe inspiriing and only read a bit each night - its all I can handle - there is so much to be grasped in it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A book for those further along the spiritual path, 14 Sep 2006
Marc John - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dark Night of the Soul (Dover Thrift Editions) (Paperback)
You have to read this book at the right time; if you read it too early into your spiritual contemplations it probably won't make any sense and the wisdom on offer might fail to connect. Ideally you'd read this book only after you've begun to feel the presence of the Spirit alive within you, but then suddenly, or gradually, you find yourself deeply confused and even abandoned by it. That is the perfect time to absorb this very wise, knowing book, written by a man who obviously underwent the entire process of spiritual awakening and union with what the religions call God - which is really, actually a deeper region of your own self that you have the potential to experience directly, although not until you give up the spiritual quest: a daunting, painful period aptly known as the dark night of the soul. What stops this material getting a five star rating is the occasional lack of clarity in the writing style. St. John may have been a true mystic but he was no Hemingway or Shakespeare and at times the text is unnecessarily dense and overly complicated. But this is a trifling criticism, out-weighed by the timelessly valid insights supplied on each page. One final piece of vital advice, wherever you read the word "devil" (mentioned very often) you'd do well to consider this as a reference to the Ego, your own, rather than interpreting the phrase to mean the actual existence of Christianity's arch enemy. A great deal of important understanding falls into place when you do this. In fact, it would help if the Introduction section to all translations stressed that the term "devil" should not be read literally but metaphorically. Overall, though, this book is an invaluable spiritual guide.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good reading, 11 Aug 2014
Fantastic read

Dark Night of the Soul (Dover Thrift Editions)
Dark Night of the Soul (Dover Thrift Editions) by St. John of the Cross (Paperback - 28 April 2003)
3.60