Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 December 2013
There had been nothing remotely like 'Ubu Roi' in French theatre when the play was staged for the first time in the 1890s. Today it can be difficult for modern audiences to appreciate the once daring and innovative style of the play and its language. This particular edition of 'Ubu Roi' hardly helps matters by translating the names of Ubu Roi and his wife as 'Papa Turd' and 'Mama Turd'. Jarry would not have approved.
on 15 October 2005
Alfred Jarry is mostly remembered for his creating the infamous Pere Ubu (translated in this edition as "Papa Turd" for scatological effect)and for his science of imaginary solutions, 'Pataphysics. As 'Pataphysics seeks to disrupt the mechanisms of desire inherent in scientific knowledge, 'Ubu Roi' seeks to disrupt the illusionistic and narrative devices of the theatre (particularly the 'Realist' theatre prevailent at that time in Paris). As Jarry himself writes in his preface, "I have made all the cuts the actors wanted, even cutting several passages indispensible to the meaning and equilibrium of the play".
Based upon the stories that Jarry created with accomplices at school to debunk his blundering science teacher M Herbert, this is Jarry's easliest production; a nascent example of the absurdist humour and irreverant illogic that would shape most of his later writing.
on 12 March 2015
A truly whacky tale that makes you doubt it was written in the 19th century - if you like the avant garde, you'll love this!
on 20 October 2015
Jarry is a new author to me. Superbly absurd and scarily familiar to one of my own creations. I was until recently unaware of 'Pataphysics' and it was uplifting to discover it for the first time. When I wrote 'Maud' and it's sequel, I thought I was unique in inventing the science of 'Passive Observation', little did I know I had been well and truly trounced many years before. Love this and his other works, a true genius.