5.0 out of 5 stars For one night only... Socrates!
Published on 9 Mar. 2012 by Pablo493

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy for study
This edition does not contain the chapter numbers or stanza numbers so you cannot use this book in any essays or use it to follow lectures if the tutor is using a different edition (e.g. oxford, penguin, etc.)
I bought this because it was the cheapest, but I had to give it to charity and buy another copy that was easier to use.
Published on 4 April 2010 by Y. Lajoie

5.0 out of 5 stars For one night only... Socrates!, 9 Mar. 2012
This review is from: The Republic (Dover Thrift Editions) (Paperback)
I have only read 'Book I' and already I feel that I've got my money's worth! The pace of the dialogues between the characters is excellent, with short, concise answers intersecting pertinent, hypothetical questions. Socrates, in particular, reminds me of one of those sarcastic, know it all people but tolerated because of their charm, intelligence and sardonic wit. You get a real sense that Plato has given us the true Socrates which lends great weight to the realism of the scene. You could, albeit the antiquated prose, put this into a modern setting; down the local pub, family barbeque, or even a prison yard! This was a pleasant suprise as I was under the impression that it was just about the subject matter, which of course, it is fundamentally but even so, Plato could have probably wrote a good story about anything.
I'm no philosophy expert(really!!) and was drawn to the book after reading the allegory of the cave which is also worth the price of the book on it's own. If you haven't read the allegory, I suggest you look it up because I promise it will enlighten you but be warned, it might even blow your mind!!
I purposely haven't mentioned the subject matter because, like I said, I've only read the first book and just wanted to emphasize the fact that if you're studying philosophy, why are you reading this? You should already have it! If you are looking for a humorous and enlightening read, then this is for you. The style of writing does take getting used to but I don't think it's as confusing as Shakespeare. Looking forward to the next nine chapters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Philosophy made accessible!, 28 Aug. 2011
This review is from: The Republic (Dover Thrift Editions) (Paperback)
The Dover Thrift edition definitely made 'The Republic' far more accessible. Whilst maintaining the depth and detail of Socrates' argument, the language is modern and simple, serving to heighten rather than detract from the content. As a student in my final year of sixth-form college, my worry was that 'The Republic' would be far beyond my abilities: definitely not the case with this edition!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable, 21 Nov. 2010
This review is from: The Republic (Dover Thrift Editions) (Paperback)
The Republic is an absolute masterpiece of literature and philosophy. Plato's style renders the reader entranced and his ease in discussing the most fundamental of topics in philosophy like justice, knowledge and leadership is only a testament to his legendary status in the plethora of the most prominent of philosophers. That, however, is very much a given when talking about the likes of Plato, so I think my time is better spent at reviewing the particular edition. The only drawback may be that it does not have the internationally agreed line numbers. However everything is absolutely perfect. The translation is magnificent, the cover art is striking and mirrors the level of esteem the actual text possesses and the price is too low to ignore. All in all a great deal. READ THIS!

PS Do not hold my pen name against me. I am a Platonist at heart. 'Aristotelean' just had a better rhythm to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 29 April 2012
This review is from: The Republic (Dover Thrift Editions) (Paperback)
The book is fantastic! While its contents are equally as amazing, this edition of this masterpiece is not only affordable, it is beautifully edited and published. I encourage people to purchase it as the price is fantastic and the reading itself is very rewarding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for reading and money saving, 8 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The Republic (Dover Thrift Editions) (Paperback)
Exactly what I wanted, the book without any academical explanations.
My daughter love it and she is happy to figure out the meaning by herself

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy for study, 4 April 2010
Y. Lajoie (UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Good offer, 17 Feb. 2010
This review is from: The Republic (Dover Thrift Editions) (Paperback)
A Western classic for a mere pittance.
The Republic is logical: bonkers (theres quite a lot of totalitarian systems derived from it-but the Spartans may be to blame for that): enlightening (Platos respect for the rational principle is inspiring-though difficult to fit in with the bits about brainwashing children): and, ironically enough, a work of art.

3.0 out of 5 stars Oh God!, 14 Sept. 2010
This review is from: The Republic (Dover Thrift Editions) (Paperback)
God forbid that i have to read this tosh.

he goes on and on and on - too sanctimonious!!

The Republic (Dover Thrift Editions)
The Republic (Dover Thrift Editions) by Plato (Paperback - 2 Jan. 2000)