5.0 out of 5 stars Paine Makes Sense, 4 April 2011
Dr. Bojan Tunguz (Indiana, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Common Sense (Dover Thrift Editions) (Paperback)
Thomas Paine is considered one of America's founding fathers. Even though he arrived in British North American colonies in 1774, just two years before the war for independence, he was immediately convinced of the necessity of the independence. Furthermore, as a pamphleteer he strove to convince other reluctant colonists that their rights will only be truly respected if they achieve a complete independence from Britain. The most famous of these pamphlets, "Common Sense," was published early in 1776 and arguably had the greatest impact on the colonists' decision to declare their independence later on that year.

Paine's writing is lucid and clear even today, some 236+ years after the pamphlet has been published. Paine uses arguments from history, the Bible, and most importantly common sense in order to convince his readers in the soundness of their striving for independence. Paine is very passionate in his presentation, and it is hard not to be swayed by his arguments. Furthermore, some of the main points that he made are extremely relevant for any generation, as they cut to the very essence of what it means to have a good and legitimate government. This is one book that anyone who is interested in politics and public good ought to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Relevant for today as you can see may parallels, 5 Aug 2011
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Common Sense (Dover Thrift Editions) (Paperback)
"... let none be heard among us, then those of A GOOD CITIZEN, ANOPEN AND RESOLUTE FRIEND, AND A VIRTUOUS SUPPORTER OF THE RIGHTS OF MANKIND..."

If you don't see the above quote in your copy evidently there are different copies of "Common Sense" with some variances. All have the standard four chapters; additions have other materials... Most of the versions I have come in books marked "Common Sense and other writings by Thomas Payne."

As you read "Common Sense" you'll realize there are several ways you can approach this information. One way is to look at it in the time period that it was written as one of his target readers. Another is to apply it to today's way of life. I actually had chosen as a combination. I also thought that I knew the Bible pretty well but found that I had to look up some quotations that he used.

I'm not going to go into detail as I don't want to spoil the surprise of how well he writes on the subject(s). I will say this is one of those books that you want to read before you die but I prefer to read it early so I can live by what I've read. Also I was surprised as with most people quote things like the Constitution or of the Bill of Rights so forth they always quote the large esoteric statements or concepts and forget tell you that it can get bogged down with tedium. This is not the case of "Common Sense" as almost every one of his sentences as a standalone timeless thought.

Liberty! The American Revolution

4.0 out of 5 stars Common Sense should rule. OK?, 11 Sep 2014
M. A. Harris "Little Chiseler" (Puckeridge, Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Common Sense (Kindle Edition)
You have my sympathy if you find the 19th C style of writing a tad difficult to digest. The book demands a certain amount of translation which does slow down ones understanding of the arguments. Also, pandering to his Opponent's sensibilities, Paine seems to accept the absolute validity of scripture. This is a stance at variance with modern scholarship.

But, despite these quibbles, Paine presents cogent arguments to support his theses and the text sustains the readers interest. In particular, he records the detailed history of the early days of the French Revolution, painting a picture quite different from that one can glean from later histories.

He is utterly convincing in his presentation of Liberalism as the only political system which can offer any hope for the advancement of civilisation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Relevant for today as you can see may parallels, 2 Aug 2013
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Common Sense (Kindle Edition)

Liberty! The American Revolution

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 21 Sep 2014
Great ideas

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 27 Sep 2014
Michael Duerden (England) - See all my reviews
OK

Common Sense (Dover Thrift Editions)
Common Sense (Dover Thrift Editions) by Thomas Paine (Paperback - 21 Aug 1997)