5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect book

3.0 out of 5 stars so,so
Published on 2 Jan. 2010 by E. Masih

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect book, 1 Feb. 2009
Goujon Yves (Tarnos, South-West of France) - See all my reviews
When I first read Nils Holgersson in Swedish I wondered, as a translator, what the style and the level of writing could be in other languages. If the German and French translations of this litterature masterpiece are remarkably good nothing compares with the 'tour de force' Velma Swanston Howard achieved. Hats off! The quality and the English level are rather high, which may make it somewhat difficult for children under 9 or 10 to read nowadays (rampant illiteracy being no piddling evil).
Nils' adventures are those any child could wish to experience, be it only in their dreams, and turn out to be a fantastic tool to learn Sweden's geography and mores in a very recreative way. The vocabulary of birds, trees and plants is quite rich and widens children's knowledge consequently. In short, an edifyng,teaching book which mingles fantasy, adventure, ecologial awareness, civic-mindedness (but fortunately not moralizing to the extreme, THAT would be boring !)with a freshness of style. Some good and salutary food for thought and dreams!
This book is the exact translation of the complete Swedish version (abridged in parts with the author's consent and approval at the turn of the century for the Swedish edition as it was sometimes too "stodgy" with all its geographical details). N.B. There is a shorter version for children aged 4 to 5 that makes them want to read the entire book later on their own wthout their parents' help or reading it aloud for them for bed-time.

5.0 out of 5 stars for young and old, 3 Oct. 2002
This review is from: The Wonderful Adventures of Nils (Dover Children's Classics) (Paperback)
It could be classed as a moral tale. It depicts a young lad transformed into an elf by his own fault. From then on the adventure starts, and what adventure! The whole of Sweden and its legends are depicted for you mixed in a fantastic thrilling story of Nils who has to face challenges in the company of geese.
The style is really gripping, the legends may be unknown to ppl outside Sweden but provide a marvellous background to the tale.
This was my first book that my mum read to me, and it remains a book that is worth reading and reading again.
Selma Lagerlof I believe won the Nobel Prize,she loved her country and wrote other books, but Nils has passed into history and if you do not know this endearing character yet... jump on this opportunity to read this book. You will not be disappointed if you want adventures.

5.0 out of 5 stars !!!!Watch out for abridged (shortened) editions!!!!, 6 July 2010
These reviews appear for all books with title The Wonderful Adventures of Nils, before you purchase make sure that you are buying the version that you really want, I have purchased both abridged and full editions, The abridged editions are not the original book (best suited to very young children)

click here for example of abridged shortened book - 96 pages

click here for example of unabridged original book - 219 pages

the page numbers are an indication of the type of book, in my opinion you will not find this book unabridged with less than about 200 pages.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read, 22 Feb. 1999
By A Customer
Growing up in Sweden we had to read this book in the 4th grade and I wasn't too happy about it then. Now, almost 20 years later I've found my old copy of it again (in Swedish) and enjoyed this masterpiece like few other books. The story line as such is quite good and exciting for children, but I do feel that you need to be a bit older to fully appreciate the book as a whole.

3.0 out of 5 stars so,so, 2 Jan. 2010
E. Masih (E.K., Scotland) - See all my reviews
This book was one of my first big books as a kid, so I wanted my kids to relive the enchantment and fascination I had experienced then. I shouldn't have gone for the low price, as this is a shortened version of the original and doesn't capture the real spirit of the story. Nice illustrations, easy to read but because of the abbreviation sometimes boring, enumerating the events. This didn't show in the insight you can have in the book before purchase, so I felt deceived in a way after. If you are looking for something short and don't know the original book, quit nice. Else, go for the real thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excitement While Learning, 15 May 2006
Monika Lang Brunner (Puebla, Mexico) - See all my reviews
I can't remember when I first read this glorious book. Since then I've read hundreds of excellent books in the many years of my life but not one of them has made me forget - or has even dimmed - that first impression. Unfortunately, I've never been to Sweden but flying with Nils Holgersen over the varied landscapes from South to North I hugely enjoyed and absorbed their description, learned about life there and became familiar with some of the Swedish legends. What an excellent idea to present a wide range of knowledge of a country by means of the story of the adventurous journey of a bad little boy who had been punished by being turned into a goblin and on this journey recognized his faults and came back a better person! Wouldn't it be a good idea to bring children to know and love their own country by a similar method?

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Swedish folk tale, 24 Mar. 2009
--------------------------

Classic Swedish folk tale, Nils is shrunk to a tiny size by a dwarf, and carried across Sweden by a flock of wild geese to their summer home in the far North.

Through many perils and exciting adventures, Nils wins the respect and love of the geese and finally returns home.

Beautifuly illustrated by H. Baumhauer.

--------------------------

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 24 Oct. 2000
By A Customer
I'm not from Sweden, and not even from a country near Sweden, but I can say that this book is one of my favourite books. It is about a swedish kid, who is charmed by a.. er, elf (?), and he travelles thru the whole country with some whild geese. The book is full of nice and interesting stories.. A very good book to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book, 2 April 2014
It's not an easy read, full of Swedish references. I loved the cartoon as a child that was based on this book, but never read the book. Spotted it in German on my parents' bookshelf, so decided to finally read it. Well worth the effort. Makes you feel good and you forget how much bad and deviant behaviour there is in the world and how much good there used to be. Makes you yearn for a much simpler and less hectic world.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic!, 24 Nov. 2013
A lovely classic book that brought back lots of wonderful childhood memories, love the Kindle format, and for free!! Thank you Amazon!!!

The Wonderful Adventures of Nils (Dover Children's Classics)
The Wonderful Adventures of Nils (Dover Children's Classics) by Selma Lagerlof (Paperback - 1 July 1995)