5.0 out of 5 stars Great reading for boys (and their father)
Published on 9 Dec 2005

1.0 out of 5 stars appalling
Published on 18 Dec 2012 by Chris

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reading for boys (and their father), 9 Dec 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Struwwelpeter in English Translation (Dover Children's Classics) (Paperback)
My brother and I were given a copy of this by an Austrian aunt when we were children and we loved this book. I bought it for my sons (age 6 & 8) and they feel much the same. It is not perhaps a good choice for the easily frightened or very sensitive child but if your target audience like Dahl or Snikett then they will have no problems with the content. The poems are honest, clever, great fun and most have a lesson you would want your child to think about. The illustrations are fabulous. This is a classic that unites the generations in my family. Intelligent and accessible with a good dose of the macarbre. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Naughty Peter won't comb his hair or cut his nails! (1848), 20 April 1998
By A Customer
Cautionary tales written and illustrated by a German psychiatrist over 150 years ago continue to alarum children and amuse parents. Racial intolerance is the target in "The Inky Boys," vicious acts in "Cruel Frederick," and of course hygiene in the title story "Shock-Headed Peter.".

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully shocking, 14 Mar 2000
I have been a fan of Struwwelpeter for many years and have a very early English edition which has been passed down through the family. I particularly like this edition as it gives a brief but interesting biography of the author and history of the book. As a child I was always fascinated by the rhymes and I think they should be read to every girl and boy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Childhood classic, 11 Mar 2013
I had this book when I was little and when I saw it at a museum I decided to nip on Amazon and buy it for my children. The pictures are hilarious and the scary wording of the Victorian warnings and morals disguised as poetry had my children in stitches!

1.0 out of 5 stars appalling, 18 Dec 2012
Chris "Netvike" (Sigerslev, Denmark) - See all my reviews
I feel cheated. Silly me for not looking closer when ordering. This is a hotch-potch black and white version of the beautiful classic. It is not the cheapest available. but should be given away free. The English text is pasted onto pages with poor black and white copies of the original art. The text is in modern font and is not even aligned properly. The pictures are so badly reproduced thaty have fuzzy 'haloes'. The cover tells me Amazon produced this. Th eblurb on the back tells me it is an 'anthology, what ? One badly copied work is an anthology ?Do not buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars "The English Struwwelpeter or Pretty Stories and Funny Pictures", 8 Oct 2014
sally tarbox (aylesbury bucks uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I was brought up on Struwwelpeter - a series of hilarious 'morality rhymes' for children from 1840s Germany. Who could forget 'Fidgety Phil' pulling the tablecloth and all its contents onto his head? ("Table oh so bare, and ah! Poor Papa and poor Mama Look quite cross, and wonder how They shall make their dinner now.") Or chubby Augustus who wouldn't eat his soup and met a sticky end ("He's like a little bit of thread, and on the fifth day - he was dead!")
More grotesque is the Long Red Legged Scissorman who cuts off Conrad's thumbs when he sucks them ("Mama had scarcely turned her back, the thumb was in, Alas! Alack!")
But 21st century readers may have more sympathy with the hare who runs off with the hunter's gun and turns it on him; the boys who mock a black child and are dipped in a huge bottle of ink by 'Great Agrippa', and the dog who bites Cruel Frederick, then eats his dinner.
24 utterly unforgettable pages. I would certainly disagree with reviewers who think it's too bloodthirsty for children (I adored it - I got my book aged around 8), and have just bought a copy for my granddaughter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Struwwel Peter, 21 Oct 2008
I was introduced to Struwwel Peter 40 years ago when my mother would read and translate the German version to us as children. It was the pictures that captivated us and the images stayed with me well in to adult life. I recently brought two English versions and I was delighted to find that they contained the orginal pictures. The moral of the stories are as relevant today as they were in the mid 19th Century. A timeless classic that should be read to all children. My two year old insists I read it over and over again.Struwwelpeter

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic brilliance!, 27 April 2013
I grew up as a young boy in a home without television......but stacks of books and this was just one amongst the many I used to read through as a little boy. The illustrations are curiously dated and funny now but the one of 'Shock headed Peter' used to give me nightmares! Didn't stop me from growing my own hair long though as a rebel teenager of the 60s!

I bought this for my two year old Grandson to pass on some of my crazy childhood memories. As with many childrens books from that era it was written and illustrated with a message of what can become of 'naughty boys'!

5.0 out of 5 stars OUR REVIEW, 12 Sep 2009
M. P. Jones - See all my reviews
Was thrilled with my copy of Stuwwelpeter. The stories and illustrations were exactly as I remembered them in my childhood - evoked lots of wonderful memories, thank you. Booked was despatched promptly and in perfect condition and I was reading it within a few days of having placed the order.

5.0 out of 5 stars Struwelpeter, 22 May 2009
This is a true classic. I am ancient and I had the book when I was a child. Now I will give it to an 8 year old boy who loves stamping on frogs but is learning its not nice.
I am only sorry it seems to be unavailable in hardback, as its a book one wants to keep for ever.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Struwwelpeter in English Translation (Dover Children's Classics)
Struwwelpeter in English Translation (Dover Children's Classics) by Heinrich Hoffmann (Paperback - 2 Jan 2000)