Format: PaperbackChange

The puzzles are OK, but in the Kindle version the process of going to see the answers is so long-winded that one soon gives up trying to solve the problems. How easy it would have been to have a hyper-link from each puzzle to its solution. This was a slapdash conversion to an e-book. Could do much better.
on 24 July 2006
Gardner's original book, Mathematical Puzzles and Diversions, was excellent, which is why I wanted more of his books. Unfortunately, this book is simply a repetition of part of that original book, which now seems to be spread thinly and among a number of other books, with many fewer pages and much larger print. Seems like a deliberate reduction in number of words per pound sterling.
11 comment39 of 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 April 2013
60 great fun puzzles, this book dates back to 1994 but is still as valid now as it was then (no old-fashioned problems involving money in pounds, shillings and pence or similar). As an example, is it possible to place 6 cigarettes so that each one touches the other 5? There is one chess problem: can you find white's only possible move that does NOT immediately checkmate black (a nice twist), and a nice twist on the old problem where one guard always tells the truth and the other always lies. Solutions are very clearly set out in the back, and too often they are maddeningly simple! No knowledge of maths beyond pre-GCSE required, but plenty to occupy the minds of puzzlers like me who have maths degrees.
on 11 January 2004
I bought this for my partner, who loves the logic puzzles in the newspaper. There's certainly plenty in here to sink your brain into.....I flicked through the book first trying to spot the ones with 'obvious' (to me) answers - there were not many!
Eventually I found time to sit down and think, and found that a lot of the puzzles can be worked through - without recourse to any advanced maths and calculus! (Of which I have none....having studied Film Theory at university) I don't think I'll ever be able to solve all of them though.....
0Comment26 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 April 1999
This is a fascinating collection of puzzles from the master of mathemagics. It's clear and undeniable: if you want the best in fun, challenging puzzles, buy anything written by Gardner or his heir apparent, Terry Stickels. You can't go wrong!!!
0Comment37 of 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 November 2009
My 11 years daughter and I enjoyed very much reading this book. I ordered it for my daughter so she can share with her friends the puzzles when they get together. Even though many of the logic puzzles are difficult for her to comprehend, she still enjoys reading the book.
on 6 January 2013
Bought this as a table present for a relation who loves puzzles especially maths based. I haven't a clue if they are any good personally but he loved it and said the puzzles would be challenging but within his realms of capability. Book quality (paperback) was v good.
on 29 December 2011
These are intriguing puzzles as you would expect from this author. They seem to have appeared in his previous books but it's nice to have them all together in one volume. A good book to dip into at random. Enjoy!
on 5 January 2014
I bought this as a present for a good friend of mine who enjoys logic puzzles but always seems to run out or get through them too easily. As she studies further mathematics A-level, I thought this particularly appropriate, and she has enjoyed the new challenges provided, as the selection of puzzle styles proved very entertaining. It arrived promptly without any issues.

Sol
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 March 2015
My first encounter with the works of the great Martin Gardner was when I was about 14. I won't mention how long ago that was! But his puzzles are no less original today. Just try not to look at the answers too soon!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse