Format: PaperbackChange

on 5 July 2009
I try but often fail to appreciate poetry but I must say that Christina Rossetti enthralls me.
I'm quite a prolific reader and first became intriqued by ' Goblin Market' because it cropped up so frequently in the books I read.
I'm so pleased I read the two previous reviews because they influenced my decision to buy.
This little book is such a gem, no grey area's for me, I just loved it.
Her words are so beautifully descriptive I was immediately seduced and living the tale.
A book to treasure.
on 27 July 2009
I bought this little book purely to read Christina Rosetti's Goblin market. Its a story in itself with lots of hidden metaphors and similes and although the language is very different to the language of this century its very easy to understand. Lots of hidden emotions and temptations, the story of two sisters - lead into temptation by the Goblins, one is strong minded but easily lead, and the other is sensible and not lead into temptation! Have a go and read it, its very long will probably take you all of 20 mins but hugely enjoyable....
on 3 May 2009
I often find that when I write reviews I waffle on far too much. All I can say about this book is that I find myself wanting more. I want to drink in more of Christinas' poetry and find out more about her, her life and history.

I was introduced to her through my love of her brothers' art. Dantes' art and Christina's poetry seem so compatible.

The Goblin Market is such a wonderful tale of desire, wanting, haunting and love. So much more than the initial thoughts (at the time) of it being a children's poem. Her other works in this book are so beautiful I cannot describe them in my words. These lack the poetic beauty Rossetti conjures. There is so much sadness, love and, yes, hope in these verses.

I love poetry but, up until now, have never found one that I could say 'Yes, this is IT'. But, reading this, I feel in Christina Rossetti, I have indeed found 'it'. I only wish I could co
on 26 September 1999
I read this book because it was on my Uni reading list, and I loved it. Rossetti's poems are powerful pieces of work that cover a variety of subjects: nature, the poet's own religion, and the relationships between men, women and families. They appeal both to emotion and intellect, and are well worth reading.
0Comment24 of 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 December 2011
This is a very small, thin and flimsy book with thin, flimsy pages, but contains all the main poems you might need and includes the entire 'goblin market' and the font size is good (not too small). It is very easy to carry around as it is so lightweight and small, yet still contains everything you need. I think it is excellent.
on 6 March 2014
I wanted the words to Goblin Market to read to my grandchildren. I bought this book for the bargain price. The other poems are excellent too.
on 7 February 2014
This is a nice introduction for a poetry novice like myself. The main poem is eerie and intriguing, followed by shorter verses.
on 24 December 2012
May not be to everyone's taste but I'm an old romantic.
Bought this copy to replace the little copy I lost in a flood. Its not so well printed and the paper is cheap but the words are timeless.
on 23 December 2014
This book contains a simple and not quite so innocent collection of romantic and haunting poems and prose to delight the reader... What more could anyone want?
on 14 September 2013
Bought as a present, this was much loved and enjoyed. I look forward to searching for some similar ones in the future.