‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful butterfly freedom, 16 April 2011
Su (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Butterfly Iron-on Transfer Patterns (Dover Iron-On Transfer Patterns) (Paperback)
I have been looking for transfers to put on a bed cover that I was making as a gift.

The problem I had was with my main image was a bouquet of different coloured roses with 3 hummingbirds hovering around them and the fact it it, unfortunately, looked like a small island of colour in a sea of pale cream silk. It needed something to break up that mass of cream.

I had already added a flower and ribbon broader from the Ribbon Embroidery Transfer book - Ribbon Embroidery Transfers (Dover Needlework). Unfortunately, this did little to alleviate the problem. After some thought I decided that a few well placed butterflies and some small flowers would help to break up the cream and turn it into the background of the blanket rather than the dominating mass that it was.

The butterflies appealed to me as soon as I saw them. I knew they would fit with the birds and roses which make the centre piece and main edging.

The best thing about transfers is you make the decisions about what colours you use, what stitches you use and where they are positioned. This meant that every butterfly was different, even if the same outline transfer was used, and because they are reusable it is not a one-hit wonder.

I would recommend that you indulge in a second copy, as the transfers don't last for ever and you may find that they are difficult to replace. Transfers are reusable, but with each use the transferred outline will become fainter - this is another good reason to buy an extra copy.

There is also the problem caused by usage of the transfers. In order to use one of the transfers you must cut out the page (or part of a page) that it's on. This means that you have loose transfers and they can very easily go missing. You will need to store the transfers and book safely. I use a zippa-bag to keep mine in (Snopake Zippa Bag Plastic Folder Zip Pull Flexible A4 Assorted - Ref 14141 (Pack 25)); my mother keeps hers in a flat storage box (Really Useful Box 4 Litre Stationery Divider Tray Blue) - both keep the loose transfers and remaining parts of the books together, flat and clean.

I would recommend that you ensure that the transfer is in the exact spot that you want it before applying the iron. Once the transfer is applied it is difficult to remove the print.

It should also be remembered that it is not the pressure of the iron that makes the transfer but the heat, so there is no need to press hard and rub. Just apply the iron and gently move it over the pattern.

My mother had transfers, from needlecraft magazines, from when she was a child and I had always wanted to add a collection of my own. Unfortunately, when I came to look for the transfers they had fallen out of fashion, I have been delighted to see that they are making a come back.

Transfers are well worth considering, especially if you want the freedom to choose the colour and style of stitching you will use as well as the position on a particular item, and the ones inside this book are capable of great beauty. I am glad that I found this book and will be looking for more transfers for my collection so I will have even more freedom for my embroidery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful butterflies big and small., 1 May 2012
Mrs. Sd Eyston (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
There are 86 designs in this book ranging from small butterflies and extra large butterflies to butterflies with flowers. These transfers can be used for a variety of projects from hand embroidery to wood burning and all of the transfers can be used more than once. There are test patterns on each page so you don't have to worry about using the main transfers when testing their use on different fabrics. If you love butterflies this is definately the book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Butterfly iron on transfers, 30 Dec 2013
The transfers in this book are really lovely. There are various size transfers, which is nice, as depending on what project I am doing I can choose the perfect one. I would definitely recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good value for money, 1 Dec 2013
It has come up to expectations and exceeded it. I would not hesitate to recommend it to friends and family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy., 20 Nov 2013
The pictures in this book are so pretty with attention to detail. It's easy to use and has so many pictures to choose from. Great for use with your sewing projects.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent transfers, 4 Nov 2013
I bought this book for my mother in law who loves butterflies, and she tells me it is really useful, she loves the variety of designs and the different size options it contains, with lots of ideas on how to use them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good selection, 5 Jun 2013
Arrived promptly, good selection of designs and sizes. Bought to use for embroidering designs on pillow cases. Haven't used yet, so don't know if there are any issues with use. But on first sight, good value for money and would recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars GOOD ITEM, 2 Jun 2013
THE BOOK CONTAINS A GOOD AND VARIED SELECTION OF TRANSFERS. IT IS IDEAL FOR WHAT I WANTED IT FOR. WOULD USE AGAIN.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 6 July 2014
D. P. Williams "scorpio2" (Lichfield.UK) - See all my reviews
These were for my wifes use in embroidery etc and she tells me they are first class. She has already used a couple and is very pleased. I can say no more as she is the expert on these matters !

4.0 out of 5 stars Full of beautiful butterflies........, 26 Jun 2014
to embroider. The only disappoingtment is, apart from a few butterflies that are clearly fantasy butterflies, none of the transfers are named. I have the book of garden flower transfers and all of the flowers are named. I love butterflies but am not very good at recognising them and I would like to make them true to life. This should have been a 5 star book. What a shame.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Butterfly Iron-on Transfer Patterns (Dover Iron-On Transfer Patterns)
Butterfly Iron-on Transfer Patterns (Dover Iron-On Transfer Patterns) by Barbara Christopher (Paperback - 2 Jan 2000)