Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 April 2010
The book wile quite well written Lacks what is most needed for the Novice, Which is detailed step by step pictures of the knots and rope work being formed. It is however of use as a memory refresher for someone who has learned to knot and splice but hasn't used those skills for a long time.
on 17 December 2012
Mainly for yachtsmen, I think, but full of useful information with detailed drawings for all Knots. Useful projects. A little old-fashioned as written in 1953, but still useful and pertinent for today's sailors.
on 27 April 2010
This book is more of a reading than an visual instruction book. Where there are diagrams and instructions, they are excellent, and content of the writing is very useful and practical. I prefer The Marlinspike Sailor, his other book. Both are American, and feel pleasantly ancient in 1950s sort of way. I like the references as to how to smoke a pipe and create decorative knots! Slightly Boy Scoutish!
on 16 October 2014
Black and white with little in the way of showing how to do the knots. I was very sorry I purchased this book as I know there are better illustrated and easier to follow books on the subject for the same sort of price around... if you can find them,
on 4 April 2014
I am new to sailing, and this book is full of sound practical advise. Superb illustrations. More for those who enjoy sailing for itself rather than for the competition freaks.
on 10 August 2015
Excellent reading and information.
on 10 March 2016
good clean book and on time
on 28 September 2014