4.0 out of 5 stars first spanish reader
I would say my Spanish is above beginners level, perhaps not quite intermediate. I learnt Spanish by using the Michel Thomas language Cd's, but I wanted to increase my vocabulary, and do something different than just sit with headphones on. The book starts off with very short tales (half a page in length), using very simple conjugations. You can glance at the opposite...
Published on 29 Oct. 2009 by simon w

2.0 out of 5 stars A step out of time
Two main disappointments about this book. The first to hit me is the quality of printing. To start with, I was wondering why there was an asterisk and what strange letter was that. Then I realised it was an extra blob of ink or a half printed letter. Added to which the thickness of the letters alters in some places and I found this distracting. I presume it is a...
Published on 9 Sept. 2010 by Annelize

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant book for the learner, 27 Nov. 2009
This review is from: First Spanish Reader (Dover Dual Language Spanish) (Paperback)
This is a fantastic little book for the learner of Spanish. You can read confidentially knowing if you're stuck you can just glance across the page. Has helped me tremendously.

5.0 out of 5 stars Maravilloso!, 12 Feb. 2013
For a beginner with the Spanish language, it is lovely to be able to read genuine Spanish stories and proverbs in small "bites" like this with the English translation alongside. However, the level of Spanish is more geared to someone with a couple of years' tuition already, rather than a beginner, and the Spanish words are sometimes a little old-fashioned in their usage; However, it is very useful for getting the flow and context of the language.

5.0 out of 5 stars first spanish reader, 2 Dec. 2011
the book is definitely not for the beginners. i bought it when I thought of myself as of a beginner and I couldn't make it through the first pages so I put it away. now, after completing a semester of an intensive spanish course, I am getting back to it and I enjoy it a lot. Absolutely loving the stories - they're funny and as somebody mentioned here, they are helpful in understanding the nature of Spaniards. Highly recommended for post beginners

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read, 4 April 2014
A useful book for a beginner like me but however I did find the stories less relevant to modern day Spain

3.0 out of 5 stars mi perro es frio y el raton habla espanol, 16 Sept. 2013
the idea of parallel text is really good and helpful. I bought it to learn more spanish and it was a help, I was hoping for un poco mas cafe con leche y una cerveza etc but lo siento que its got vocabulary in the stories that will help you if you want to live in a grimm fairytale setting with castle drawbridges and the like but for the price it still is a help really.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with this!, 26 May 2013
I am very happy with this book because it has very short to slightly longer stories throughout the book and proverbs and some cultural references. It also includes some exercises on each short story if you want to test your Spanish! Great for a beginner like myself (just come up to GCSE equivalent or AB Initio (grade 1 level 1) in university open unit terms)

1.0 out of 5 stars It seems so dated, 5 Mar. 2013
The prose seems so very old. I'm sure no one speaks that way anymore, and therefore I think to try and learn the language from this isonly marginally beneficial. I wish I realised this before I bought it. Maybe there is the same style of book with more up to dat literature and text. Quite disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars First Spanish Reader, 29 May 2014
This book is at just the right level for me. Can read stories in Spanish without bothering to look up dictionary as will get the full translation when I move onto the English version a few pages further on.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good starter., 10 Jan. 2014
An excellent introduction to prose passages, comprising many curious and amusing stories.
Access to the vocabulary is a useful deterrent to reading the English translation as an easy way out.
The translation is faithful without being stilted.

3.0 out of 5 stars Old-fashioned, 11 Feb. 2012
This book is very old-fashioned, and I found that was quite off-putting. I would not recommend this book for beginners, but would instead advise to try something more modern with more easily recognisable sentences, like a short e-book.

First Spanish Reader (Dover Dual Language Spanish)
First Spanish Reader (Dover Dual Language Spanish) by Flores (Paperback - 1 Nov. 1989)