Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 19 October 2012
Having read the other reviews I was in two minds as to whether or not to buy this book but decided that as it was not too expensive I would get it. I know that the reviews said the pictures were only black and white and this led me to think they might be design drawings rather than photographs but I was, sadly, mistaken. The pictures are all monochromes of grey and the pictures are not that clear. Furthermore, the page and illustration numbering are somewhat chaotic and it is difficult to work out which item is which from the given list, which does not give any description of the jewellery construction, e.g. set with pearls/enamelled/gold/silver etcetera and because the pictures are all monochrome it is difficult to tell what embellishments have been used. There are some very attractive jewellery designs which would be useful when planning on making your own work but as the plates are not sharp it is difficult to see how the design lines are formed. There are a lot of repetitive types of jewellery, especially hair ornaments that are quite similar. It is not clear which pictures are of rings as the angle of the photograph is insufficient to show the circular nature of the rings and the detail is somewhat blurred. All in all, a disappointing book.
on 14 September 2011
I bought this for a friend who is a professional jewellery designer and gemologist. She is always seeking inspiration and has a love for art nouveau design. The illustrations are detailed and in black and white which suited her needs. If you are looking for a book which has lots of colour plates, this probably isnt the one for you. But,if like my friend you are in the business of design it is excellent.
on 6 March 2002
I love art nouveau. The curves, the use of animal and plant elements, the way the style crosses categories and can be used just as sucessfully for rings and umbrellas, book covers and brooches. All this is plain to see in this book. Starting with the inside front cover the plates are full of exquisite, detailed designs, fantasies in metal. Turn of the century design is still gorgeous today, and modern bio-mech designs owe as much to art nouveau as they do to Giger's aliens. Take a look, wonderful book.
on 11 September 2013
I was disappointed with this book as only contained design photo plate images, no written detail at all or information regarding the design.
on 23 May 2014
this little book has lovely illustrations of designs from yesteryear they have given me some ideas for some drawings I want to do and some jewellery making ideas. a worthy buy for my collection
on 11 June 2014
Interesting collection of designs. I would like to see better defined draws. However, the designs are fantastic and represent quite well that period.
on 4 January 2014
A good book for inspiration and research. I would use it for an example book for students in either jewellery or costume for theatre.
on 27 April 2015
Well researched, exquisite and inspirational book.
on 17 May 2015