5.0 out of 5 stars Ethereal Haunting Quality, 15 Aug 2012
heretic666 (High Dudgeon, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Dore Bible Illustrations (Dover Fine Art, History of Art) (Paperback)
Dore must be considered one of the supreme illustrators of all time; I say illustrator rather than artist because of his ability to take the written word and produce a satifying image from it.
Most of us can conjure up pictures from words but the sheer scale and variety of his visions and the fertility of his imagination is only matched by the sheer quantity of his output.
I wont bother going into details about the contents of this book because one look at his idea of the celestial host or the apocalypse will force you to buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gustave Dore Bible illustrations, 4 Jun 2014
I originally bought this book years ago but lost it , so I was very pleased to get hold of a copy again .
Being a fan of Biblical stories this book with illustrations by Gustave Dore is superb especially those taken from the Old Testament . I was given an old family bible by my grandmother which was illustrated by Gustave Dore which I still have , so it is great to have those illustrations in a seperate volume .

5.0 out of 5 stars Pictoral Bible Highlights, 16 July 2010
G. Bainbridge "ggeb" (H/Pool) - See all my reviews
This is a good teaching tool
I have used it for talking about the Easter story

The Dore Bible Illustrations (Dover Fine Art, History of Art)
The Dore Bible Illustrations (Dover Fine Art, History of Art) by Gustave Dore (Paperback - 18 Nov 1974)
15.51