5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Debut
Published on 30 Dec 2011 by Lee Mcandrew

3.0 out of 5 stars lame duck
I usually enjoy these but this just did not hit the spot. Although it was trying to be funny I just didn't get the humour
Published 5 months ago by Miss Fiona M Ward

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Debut, 30 Dec 2011
Lee Mcandrew - See all my reviews
Saw this book advertised on Facebook, which was targeted at me because I'm a fan of Douglas. As I'm always on the lookout for humorous fantasy/sci-fi and it was charged at a reasonable price I thought I'd give it a go. This book was pretty much what I hoped it would be: lots of wonderfully absurd humour and concepts (like Leamington Spa being the capital of the world). The only minor criticism is that the the middle of the story saw the protagonist spending too much time in military bases, but the beginning and end more than made up for that. Ideally I would have given this story 4 and a half rating but as I don't have that option I will give it the full 5. Well done Matt Phillips!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent fun book with original ideas, 12 July 2012
I enjoyed this book very much. I wouldn't say laugh out loud all the way, though there were a few moments, and it is more a book which puts a smile on your face, but that's fine with me. Some original SF ideas here (well, I hadn't heard of them before) such as the eternal battle being between pigeons and sharks as representing two ancient races of aliens on Earth. Add a few talking sheep with a transporter machine and a number of other characters and you are not going to feel there is any lack of originality in this book. Almost from the beginning the pace is fast and furious, after all the hero has only a few hours to save the world, and one gets drawn very quickly into the story. Not good to read in bed as you are trying to get to sleep as you keep wanting to see what happens next. Good challenging fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars The truth is out there and its Funny!, 18 May 2012
I saw this on Amazon a while back downloaded it and then didn't get round to reading it for ages, what a waste of time that was. When I did start reading I couldn't put it down except for when it made my laugh so much I needed to. A lot of imagination and talent has gone into writing this and I have to say that if you want an easy read that makes you chuckle all along then this is the book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very fine and funny novel, 6 July 2012
I obtained this as an amazon kindle freebie and now feel a bit guilty about depriving the author of some well deserved dosh!!

Matt the author skillfully introduces his fictional world (I do so hope it is make-believe) and the principal characters in a steady, measured way and sends them on an increasingly incredible journey without loosing credibility.

Without, hopefully, giving too much of the intriguing plot away, one of Matt's best ideas is that the whole planet is populated by just 25,000 sheep who are moved through the earth by de-molecular transporters.

I thoroughly enjoyed this work and look forward to Bill and Fern taking on the enemies again, with some spare time for sordid, sweaty sex

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 12 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Truth about Sharks and Pigeons (Paperback)
This is definitely a keeper. The plot is not complex but twists and turns enough to keep you guessing while the style is easy going. Up there with the best.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good effort, a pleasant way to pass a couple of hours, 8 May 2013
The G-Man (South Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
An amusing tale of talking pigeons, Segway-riding sharks and robot pooper-scoopers. Throw in a fairly typical 'unlikely hero', some (thankfully underplayed) love interest and a few caricature baddies and you have an original story well told - not up to the standards of Holt, Rankin, Pratchett et al but still well worth reading.

I considered it very good value for what I paid for it (99p) but I think the current asking price of 4.99 is a bit steep - that's Holt/Rankin/Pratchett territory and it's just not that good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Properly mental genius, 25 Feb 2013
Mark W. Bonnett (UK) - See all my reviews
This book, right, is mental, but the thing is that it's mental in the best way possible. Just the title alone was enough to get me hooked in enough to know that I had to read it, and blimey, was I glad I did.

It's the first time in a good long while that a book's had me quite literally doubled over wi' laughter, but this one managed it (I'm not going to spoil the bit that did it, I'm simply going to say "Cheggers"). Not only that, but it has genuine heart, as well, with the sweet relationship between the protagonist, Bill, and everyone's chunky knitwear aficionado, Fern.

So, in short, get it read. It's chuffing brilliant (and the "DVD Extras" are pure win).

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh out loud funny, 11 Dec 2012
My wife hated me reading this as i kept laughing and reading elements of it to her. Very enjoyable book

4.0 out of 5 stars Original, absurd and quite entertaining, 1 Oct 2012
I got this free for my new Kindle. I read it on holiday and it's perfect if you accept intelligent pigeons, sharks as cartoon villains and sheep performing micro-surgery. Suspend belief and this is an entertaining ride, although the violence is fairly gratuitous and I got bored with the sharks eating habits. The storyline keeps you wondering how much more absurd the plot can become - and it just gets more extreme each chapter. This book is a bit like Marmite, some will love it but others will loath it! Me? I like Marmite!

5.0 out of 5 stars The real truth about sharks and pigeons (and sheep)? It's very good and very funny., 22 Jun 2012
The Truth about Sharks and Pigeons (and sheep)? The real truth? Okay: It's really good! And it's really funny.

Not Pratchett-funny (why is every "funny" novel measured against Pratchett, who has a very unique sense of humour?), but if comparisons are helpful, more Douglas Adams (not just for absurdity) with a dash of Tom Holt (for the unlikely hero).

Protagonist Bill Posters is only humanity's 768.271st best hope after all, but he has help - the lovely Fern, Clyde (the pigeon), Gregor who works on a "need to know basis so he is not considered all that reliable" and a cast of characters I would not want to give away here.

Bill is up against the sharks, but these are no ordinary selachimorpha - unless you've seen a shark on a Segway PT before - they have a plan for world domination. But are they a match for Bill, the pigeons (and the sheep)?

If you want to find out and learn about the connection between the time-space continuum and laundrettes while you're at it or debating physics theory with a scientifically advanced octogenarian techno-sheep, you've got to read this very enjoyable novel.

Criticism? Of course. One: Like most self-published novels, a good editor could have improved the book considerably. Two: It reads like a first novel. But I for one am REALLY looking forward to Matt Phillips' next novel (and I'm thinking five stars next time, okay?)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Truth about Sharks and Pigeons
The Truth about Sharks and Pigeons by Matt Phillips (Paperback - 1 Jan 2012)
6.30