1.0 out of 5 stars more essay than discussion, 1 Sep 2010
This review is from: Discussion Starters: Speaking Fluency Activities for Advanced ESL/EFL Students (Paperback)
I bought this book as I was Looking for DISCUSSION starters etc for English conversation classes. However, what this book actually is are short very simple text (non authentic) and a series of questionaire type questions ( do you agree with this? mark it on a scale of 1-5) and a title for writing an essay. There are some group activities but they seem ridiculous, either giving the students all the words they have to say in the activitiy or not giving them any scaffhold at all.

eg In small groups discuss your responses to the text.
Do sikhs have the right to wear their turbans in the legion hall? Or do you believe the majority has the right to make certain rules about customs?
This book is old and tired.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good ideas, 18 Jun 2011
I bought this book to help with a few ideas for an advanced student who I'm working with on a 1:1 basis. It has provided me with some useful material but I wish I'd checked it out a little more thoroughly first as it's very 'American'. I'm sure I will also get ideas from it to use with groups in the future, although at the moment I'm not teaching any advanced groups.

Discussion Starters: Speaking Fluency Activities for Advanced ESL/EFL Students