5.0 out of 5 stars Well structured book, which explains the material really well, 9 Aug 2006
C. Nunn - See all my reviews
This review is from: Further Maths for the Physical Sciences (Physics) (Paperback)
This is an excellent book which explains the material really well. The best thing about it is the way it is structured, with fast track questions to see whether you can skip a section, and then ready to study questions, to make sure that you have the background knowledge to understand the chapter. Examples are clearly explained, as well as answers to questions in the text. It doesn't miss out crucial lines in a derivation, and it doesn't say 'This is obviously...' when it's not obvious to me, and if it was, I wouldn't have needed to look it up in the first place.

The maths is backed up by examples from physical sciences, which is really helpful and puts the whole thing in context.

It didn't cover all my course, so I had to use other books for part of the course. But it was so much better than the books which did cover the whole course, I'd buy it again.

A criticism for the publisher to put right - the index gives the section number, but there is no easy way to find a section, because it is not written on each page. The same problem in the answer sections, the answers are R1, T1 etc but doesn't say what chapter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Learn maths the easy way, 17 Mar 2008
I wish I had found this book long ago. It explains concepts in the easist way possible. You will find many details that are very relevant in applied mathematics in it and it will be very clear to you that they are important.

Again, not a book for someone that just wants proofs for theorems etc. but a book that allows you to apply your knowledge in physics and science in general in quite a strict mathematical manner. I would think, however, that you get the most of it only if you know some mechanics and/or thermodynamics.

On the other hand I was very curious about how the authors would attack vector calculus and wave theory in their easy to read style. In the end, I feel they really struggled with the last two chapters and is more evidence, in my opinion, that these are just hard topics (although you WILL know how to solve problems in vector calculus if you read this book).

Finally, if you ALSO want to know what you are really doing, I would not encourage you to learn from this book only and I would use it as a reference and fast revision text instead. If you want to learn, say calculus, from a more basic point of view (even if applied) I recommend Thomas' calculus which is a bit more rigorous.

4.0 out of 5 stars Understandable book, 28 Sep 2009
David Howlett (Oxford uni, England) - See all my reviews
I bought this item a few weeks ago and have been reading it. I can understand all of the concepts in it easily and quickly. I like the way that each chapter is mostly independent from the others so I can reach into to book read a chunk from the middle and I will be able to garuntee that I will understand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for university physics, 13 Mar 2014
This book is great for first year university physics as it also goes through some of the more complicated maths in optics and thermodynamics, and gives a general idea on how to solve problems. Very easy to read and to follow

5.0 out of 5 stars Further Mathematics book, 24 Feb 2012
I ordered this book as I am studying the first year of a physics degree. It is fantastic, It covers all the complex maths you need and will probably last me the rest of the degree. It's substantial explains everything well and has examples for you to solve. I would recommend it to anyone who studies this area.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very physical and understandable, 2 July 2011
I wish I had have this book in my first and second year at university. Its not a rigurous maths book, and I dont share the meaning of "further", but the way its structured and the fast physics-related examples are very usefull and there are lots of them. Very understandable.

In my opinion, one of the best books of maths for phisicists, but there are some missing chapters, like circuit integrals, serial solutions for a diff eq, tensors...

Further Maths for the Physical Sciences (Physics)
Further Maths for the Physical Sciences (Physics) by Michael Tinker (Paperback - 30 Mar 2000)
38.25