5.0 out of 5 stars Make the Internet work for you
Published on 9 Oct 2000 by Dr. G. Salmon

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very good
Published on 8 July 2001 by Bobby Elliott

5.0 out of 5 stars Make the Internet work for you, 9 Oct 2000
This review is from: Online Communities: Supporting Sociability, Designing Usability (Computer Science) (Paperback)
I found this book a great combination of concepts and practical ideas that I know will have a great impact on my work as an online teacher and researcher. I especially appreciate the absolute focus on the interaction between people and how to achieve it (as opposed to person:computer). To me, it puts as all at the heart of what the Internet IS and what it will be. There's something for everyone from commercial to not-for-profit contexts of all kinds. Gilly Salmon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for designers, students and researchers., 13 Aug 2000
By A Customer
In Online Communities, Jenny Preece offers an excellent framework for considering how to design, work in, play in or just muse about the new world of communities "out there" on the internet. There are many people teaching and learning in this area now - the book is most timely and offers ideas for designers and researchers and a valuable approach to teaching and learning. Her section on community-centred development is a key part of the book along with her emphasis on usability and sociability. These concepts, especially that of sociability, offer her continuing research results to beginners and longer-term researchers and developers. The book is comprehensive in the way it covers many important topics. It is valuable for designers and developers and also offers considerable resource material though its web site. Use it! I already use Jenny Preece's book (written with others) on Human-Computer Interaction for teaching that subject. Her new book extends her support for the design and academic community in a significant way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 18 Sep 2003
I am currently researching Virtual Communities for my Dissertation at Brookes University, Oxford - UK. I was lucky enough to be recommended this book by a tutor of mine, and have found it incredibly useful in providing a detailed overview of many types of virtual community. As part of my research I am planning to move a real life business community online, and found this book invaluable. I have been lucky enough to read a great deal of the authors works and other papers and books she has published.
This book encompasses so many aspects of communities, I would recommend it to anyone with an interest in social sciences, technology or the world of business.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still relevant today, 18 Jan 2014
J. Bishop - See all my reviews
This book was written at the start of the century and was an essential resource on many computing degrees, including mine. Many people think that Facebook and other social media websites are new and cool. Nearly all of the social and communication features of Facebook were described in this book. Whilst some of the examples are a bit dated the principles are the same. Any website that does not have strong usability and which doesn't promote sociability is doomed to failure.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very good, 8 July 2001
Bobby Elliott (Erskine, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This book is presented as an academic study of online communities - but it lacks the rigour of a serious academic work. No new research is presented and the data is all second hand (and questionable). But that's not my main problem with it. The book just doesn't tell you much about online communities. I'm a regular user of Web-based communities and learned very little that I didn't know already. It completely omits to discuss the largest emerging area of online communities - e-groups.... These services are likely to take over online communities but are not even mentioned in this book. But I did read it all and I did find some parts interesting and there are not many books in this area so I might recommend it. But much better books will follow.