4.0 out of 5 stars Learn and smile...
Published on 11 Jan 2008 by tallpete33

3.0 out of 5 stars Computer manuals
Well, I don't know. This manual was found to be very hard going - unlike some other publications with titles "for Dummies". Possibly this critic is rather dumb computerwise, but other publications are being sought.
Published on 7 April 2009 by Granddad Fuddy

4.0 out of 5 stars Learn and smile..., 11 Jan 2008
tallpete33 (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Windows Vista For Dummies (Paperback)
I remember buying Windows 3.1 for Dummies many moons ago and it was a big help in my fledgling IT career. Having bought a new PC with Vista pre-installed, I thought it would be a good idea to buy a Dummies book for the new Windows and I'm glad I did. It is a solid and welcome addition to the series, unbiased and informative text, well laid out and the Gary Larson style cartoons give it a friendly feel.

It explains clearly the different versions of Vista, installation issues and the differences between it and XP. All Vistas quirks and features are described in plain English. A useful crib-sheet lists useful shortcuts to impress your colleagues. Home users and office users alike of any skill level would benefit from this book.

What this book is :
A Windows Vista reference, not a comprehensive training manual - choose what you need to gen up on and look for that chapter. Having said that, working through the book a chapter at a time is of use and would not take months
Useful, un-patronising and pretty funny

What this book is not:
Microsoft propaganda - Rathbone tells it like it is and probably won't be top of Bill Gates Christmas card list for some of his comments
A full blown tech guide for geeks, though they would certainly find it useful (without admitting it of course!)

Great book and for this price, it's a steal

5.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining book on this new operating system., 18 Mar 2007
Mr. P. J. R. LEWIS (Llandudno N Wales) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Windows Vista For Dummies (Paperback)
As with all new Microsoft operation systems there is confusion on how everything works.After a few weeks of trial and error you begin to learn how to work the controlls but what do you do in the meantime struggle on or consult a very informative book written in a intelligent way.

Andy Rathbone has written excellent easy to understand books for most of the Windows systems,especially XP which i have found invaluable in correcting mistakes or carrying out tasks that unless you are computer literate may take you ages to figure out.

For a start Windows Vista operates in a similar way to XP but looks and works in a totally different manner.

What do all the new control panels do or the different icons stand for.
This book will easily put you right on many of the problems you will eventually come across.

It is a reference book or systems manual that you can learn from as you go along.
This new Vista book is sensibly priced and if you already use or are eventually going to upgrade to the various Vista programmes in the future then this book is one of the easiest to understand and includes everything you will want to know and alot you may never use but it will be there if you need it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Cracking Edition of For Dummies, 2 Jan 2008
Mr. Dominic Langmead "Seadogs" (Scarborough (UK)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Windows Vista For Dummies (Paperback)
After Purchasing Vista and not being able to get to grips with it my dad got me this book,

it explains in great detail how to do everything that you need to do, it uses friendly language and does not insult your intelligence like some books.

I got the one with the free DVD which i have found very useful.

Amazon are the cheapest retailers of this product that i have seen, it comes wrapped in a standard Amazon packaging -- however you must be at home for delivery as it does not fit through your letter box :(

In All buy this book, you will find it useful, either that look on Google and find the answers for free :P

5.0 out of 5 stars vista for dummies, 28 Feb 2009
This review is from: Windows Vista For Dummies (Paperback)
an excellent choice for someone like me that needs step by step instructions.a clear well set out book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money, 15 Jun 2009
Iain S. Palin (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Windows Vista For Dummies (Paperback)
Like other long-term Windows users, I've been through several transitions where I had to learn a whole new look and way of getting the best from my system: from Windows 3 to 3.11 (now that was a real jump in usefulness!), from 3.11 to 95, from 95 to XP. So when I had to get a new computer and it came with Vista I wasn't looking forward to the experience.
In the event it took me about half an hour to decide I really liked Vista, but it took longer than that to realise just how powerful it is and what a good range of actions it covers, including things that in XP needed third-party programs.
That's where this book came in. Simple, thorough, helpful, and written in a light but useful way, it answered my queries and pointed out and explained resources in Vista I would otherwise have overlooked. And the way it's set out, the sections that deal with the familiar are easily skipped. It made sure I can get the best out of my computer, and was well worth the money spent on it and the time invested in reading it.
I heartily recommend it to new users and those coming over from XP or other versions.

3.0 out of 5 stars Computer manuals, 7 April 2009

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the cover, 21 Jun 2008
This review is from: Windows Vista For Dummies (Paperback)
If you are looking for a light introductory guide to Windows Vista then look no further. If you are looking for a book that will get you out of trouble, then you'd be better looking at (for want of a better expression) more serious titles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vista for my friends who are Dummies!!, 15 Oct 2009
This review is from: Windows Vista For Dummies (Paperback)
I bought this book for one of my friends who, when it comes to using a computer isn't that shall we say comfortable.
We are all good at different things.
This book however has enabled him to turn on his laptop and one or two slightly more complicated functions like check his email and write an email, he did struggle to send an email but with the help of the book managed in the end.
I am sure that with the help of this book he will eventually manage to do everything he wants to do.
In the meanwhile I'm free to do what I want instead of helping him out all the time.
Thanks Vista for Dummies....I'm free!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Vista for Dummies, 10 April 2009
D. Richardson (Richmond N. Yorks.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Windows Vista For Dummies (Paperback)
This book was promptly delivered in excellent condition. The contents are easy to read and comprehensive in coverage of Vista. I shall buy the windows 7 version when it is published.

5.0 out of 5 stars Windows Vista Dummies, 23 April 2011
This review is from: Windows Vista For Dummies (Paperback)
I bought this book to see how the basics of a computer worked and boy is this a good book, well worth the 1p that I paid for it, plus the P&P, so now this is by my side all the time. This is a good book not just for those starting out in computing, as even the best of people sumtimes forget the basics, a good all round book to have.

Windows Vista For Dummies
Windows Vista For Dummies by Andy Rathbone (Paperback - 29 Nov 2006)
10.49