Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 June 2003
The book is the best on OO design that I have come across, and I have seen most of them! It is of the quality of "Java Design" (by Coad and Mayfield) but better because of more accessible and tangible examples, and its no-messing treatise on most of the GoF patterns.
As a developer with a few years behind me, much of the early part of the book was a refresher which was very clear to me, and I think would be very clear to anybody with some OO programming behind them. It might not be the perfect book for an absolute beginner.
The last few Chapters of the book cater for readers with more experience, and they do so brilliantly.
The chapter on frameworks was an inspiration to me and will have a significant effect on my next GUI project.
on 29 May 2006
As the previous comment states, I can only agree more. This book gives better perspective to OO and Design pattern than all books combined. The best part is the structure of the book, that it can be recognized by either a novice or an expert quite easily.

While this book is purely aimed at individuals with minimal Java experiences, other language programmers wanting an OO guilde may be disappointed. Nevertheless, this is a perfect book for do and don'ts of OO Design and Java.

The simpler references to UML patterns gives better introduction to UML than a book dedicated UML. Especially if you already a developer trying to understand and construct representations of your development work.
on 29 November 2014