5.0 out of 5 stars Where genius meets experience
To me the Science of Influence by Kevin Hogan was 224 pages of pure joy and brilliantly explained principles of influence I could use the very same day I learned them.

Published on 9 Aug 2006 by Blaz Banic

2.0 out of 5 stars Visit my website, buy my stuff
I've finally got through this book, and to be honest I can't really say that I've learned much. I bought this book to learn the techniques for selling my internet-based products & services via my web site. Given that the internet must surely now be the biggest media for selling, it's strange that so little attention is given to it.

Hogan makes some really...
Published on 2 April 2007 by The Evil Doctor

2.0 out of 5 stars Visit my website, buy my stuff, 2 April 2007
The Evil Doctor (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Science of Influence: How to Get Anyone to Say Yes in 8 Minutes or Less! (Hardcover)

Hogan makes some really strong statements in this book that mainly involve the psychology of the buyer. The problem is that the examples that should accompany them are missing. It seems to me that unless you are selling "real estate", you won't benefit a great deal. Many of the examples that are there are based around American products that I have no experience of anyway.

Only the final paragraph deals with internet-based selling. It is too short, and can be summed up as:

1. Make a statement that identifies your product as being bigger and better

2. Deliver on that statement by 200%

It's not really too helpful when every one of my competitors is also saying that their product is also the best.

The other problem (as identified by the previous reviewer) is the continuous mention of how good the author is! He thinks a lot of himself; from boasting about his wealth, his lifestyle, or the fact that you should keep going to his website to buy more of his stuff - it's annoying and takes away from the purpose of the book.

The only part of the book I honestly did find useful was the section on minimising how much information you deliver to a potential buyer, to stop them going into 'self-defence' mode.

Other than this, I found it largely disappointing, and would really appreciate other reviewers posting their recommendations.

2.0 out of 5 stars This book is a vehicle for Hogans massive ego!!!, 10 Sep 2006
Did anyone know that to influence people it's important to "Be likable"? Or how about this: "If you can't get someone's attention you have no opportunity to influence that person in any way". Really Hogan?!? How did you come up with these groundbreaking pieces of information?

Folks, this book is for those of you who are about one level above "socially inept". Okay maybe that's a little harsh, but seriously I really did not find any of his ideas as "profound" (as Hogan will often remind you whilst shamelessly slipping in adverts about his seminars, CD's and other books in his series) as he would have you believe.

He dedicates a whole chapter to the importance of credibility when attempting to influence. Right Ok, so it's important to be credible otherwise people don't believe what you're saying. Thanks for that Hogan. Here's one of his equations to memorise in case you forget how to become credible:

Credibility = Expertise + Trustworthiness

Mind-blowing stuff!

After reading his book I can't imagine Kevin Hogan ever influencing me to say yes to anything he suggests, unless he suggests binning his 224 pages of patronising text.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Average at the Best of Times!, 1 Feb 2006
By A Customer
A decent enough book in its own right but many of these "insights" one learns anyway if bright enough to develop your skills naturally.
Some useful areas but too much self-promotion of his other books a little off-putting at the best of times.
That said it is an easy read, nicely presented and covers a lot of important issues in influence. For the beginner more than anything else trust me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Where genius meets experience, 9 Aug 2006

Kevin begins by explaining what it is that makes people tick -- why we do certain behaviours, do we even know what we want and why, explains how the two minds (conscious and unconscious) work and shares the three ways that bring change in a person.

He then proceeds to explain the importance of body language, tells how to improve it and gives thirteen secrets of making a magnetic first impression. This is followed by "the delta model of influence" which teaches subtle ways to gain rapport with a prospect and explains fifteen secrets to optimizing a persuasive message.

Next he reveals the new principles of influence and an introduction to omega strategies that teach us how to obliterate resistance in people by presenting what we want them to do in such a way that a "yes" becomes much more likely. Then come the ten laws of influence and ways to apply them.

He continues with explaining how people's decisions oscillate and how this effects their behavior and of course how to use this phenomena in our advantage. The concluding chapter touches the subject of branding -- how can we brand ourselves and why is it very important.

Throughout the book you can find many examples, exercises and quizzes that help you grasp the enormous amount of knowledge you get in it.

It's written in an easy to understand language, the principles are masterfully explained and backed up by data from real-life controlled experiments conducted by several Universities and companies, and of course by the author himself -- hence the title "The Science of Influence".

Although the book was written for sales people, the principles can easily be applied to many other areas -- such as relationships and therapy. I really recommend it to anyone eager to learn the secrets of influencing people's decisions and believe it should be on the shelf of every serious sales person.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Treasurehouse of Valuable Information, 25 Feb 2005
Jurgen Wolff (London, England) - See all my reviews
This is the best book on the power of influence since Robert Cialdini's ground-breaking work. Kevin Hogan covers the topic from many perspectives, including building rapport, the nature of decision-making (and how you can get people to look at things your way), and how to sequence your message for maximum impact. This really isn't a book just to read once through--I'm treating it as a workbook to consult again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Dangerous book in the wrong hands, 25 Feb 2005
D. Macnaughton (Inverness, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Effective,useful and authentic are the words I would use to describe Science of Influence by Kevin Hogan.Owning a business in the area of coaching and training I realise the importance of influence in helping clients find the best choice for themselves and their future success and I also need to market my business. Science of influence increased my effectivenes in both these areas. Kevin Hogan excels at giving you the tools and techniques of influence backed up my the latest scientific research and also keeping your clients best interest at the centre of the influence process. I have not read any other author that manages to succeeed at this task, as Kevin Hogan. When I read the chapter on Credibility, alone, I knew it was worth at least 10K to my business.This book is a winner.

1.0 out of 5 stars the science of bs...., 13 Sep 2011
there is no magic bullet that will get anyone to say yes - and sadly this proves the point. it's boring, unimaginative and wont help - if you are purchasing this book because you work in sales or as a consultant ther are much better books - spin selling is a better place to start...

4.0 out of 5 stars Later and better ..., 11 Nov 2010
This is a later and better book than his earlier The Psychology of Persuasion: How to Persuade Others to Your Way of Thinking. I'll come clean and say I don't really like his style but, the content is sound and clearly presented. If you are building a library of books on influence and persuasion, you will want to include this one (and, if I can says so, you may want to take a look at mine too: Brilliant Influence: What the Most Influential People Know, Do and Say and Handling Resistance Pocketbook).

The Science of Influence: How to Get Anyone to Say Yes in 8 Minutes or Less!
Used & New from: 0.01