5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent -- a must read for programmers, typists, 7 Aug 1999
By A Customer
This book has helped me tremendously. Already having just skimmed it, I have found 3-4 things I do posture and lifestyle-wise that I need to change.
I think there are a lot of users like me that need this book: having intermittant pain that could become serious if not attended to soon.
Don't believe the morons that say RSI is just in your head, or the people on the other end that think it is untreatable and spout horror stories. You *can* recover, and most important, you can *prevent* it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I thought I was at fault. That I should have known better!, 21 Dec 1998
By A Customer
This book was a gift of serendipity. The information in it allowed me to communicate to my DR's and the State Workers' Compensation Division exactally what my injury is. Because of prolonged computer "leashing" I developed a bi-lateral Ulnar nerve compression. I sought "compentent" medical treatment for 4 months until I read this book. I found such treatment because this publication empowered me to ask the right questions. I will not relate details but I was severly abused in the Medical system (yes I am FULLY insured) prior to having the information Ms. Quilter provides in this excellent book. If you have sore hands, numb hands or, as I did, muscle loss in your arms or hands, BUY this book! I have been given full Workers' Compensation, and have been blessed to find the upper extremity Orthopaedic Surgens at the University of Pittsburgh because of the drive this publication gave me and refusal to stop looking for the best help for my injury.

By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, someone who understands this painful injury!, 3 Dec 1998
By A Customer
This is the most comprehensive book I have ever read on repetitive strain injuries. I have been suffering from various RSI's in my wrists/elbows/arms for about a year now, and was very frustrated that none of the numerous doctors I saw seemed to be able to help me, or even understood what was wrong with me. Just one chapter into the book, I felt a great sense of relief that the author *understands* not only the injury, but the frustration and anger that patients suffer. There are detailed descriptions of the various types of RSI's, how they are caused, and what you can do about correcting the problems that caused them in the first place. Along with this are valuable instructions on workplace ergonomics, suggestions for helpful ways to make everyday life easier, pain management, and a resource guide at the end of the book, with suppliers of helpful tools as well as legal resources if your injury is work-related. An excellent book, I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars a second opinion on RSI?, 17 Feb 2005
By A Customer
yep - an excellent book for RSI sufferers and avoiding RSI - but dont just assume you have RSI, like i did. Doctors, in my experience, haven't a clue what to do or how to help and RSI seems to be a new catch-all phrase but without any real medical answers. I'm not doubting for a second that rsi really exists nor am i saying that its 'all in the head' but in my case, i had RSI symptoms which i now know were based on emotional factors and the book that really saved my computer programming career and ultimately a prolonged period of anquish over my symptoms and how they were 'restricting' me was the following - The Mind/Body Prescription by John Sarno. Currently under 7 on amazon (no, i dont work for amazon!!) - but well worth reading for an alternative opinion... anyway, good luck, it is a condition that is more like a self-discovery journey than a quick fix with pills or a physio (in my experience)

5.0 out of 5 stars This book allowed me to continue working while healing, 18 April 1998
By A Customer
After a 6 month leave, I returned to work and picked up right where I left off. I ended up with so much pain in my arms and hands I was taking massive doses of Motrin every 4 hours. Pacarelli and Quilter's book showed me how to set up my work station properly and how to makeover my work habits. I was able to continue working - while healing! After only several months, I was pain free - and after 3 years (still following the guidelines in the book), I still am.

5.0 out of 5 stars RSI/CTD - the unacknowledged high tech epidemic, 24 Oct 1997
By A Customer
Pascarelli & Quilter's book is an absolute must-read for all Health & Safety Coordinators and for all people working with keyboards. Practically-oriented, the authors have carefully outlined all of the common manifestations of cumulative trauma disorders (CTDs) one encounters as a result of repetitive strain injuries (RSIs). The book is resourceful, an easy read, and covers the subject thoroughly. Jim Lovette RN, MA

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this book BEFORE your pain gets any worse, 26 Mar 1999
By A Customer
I began experiencing wrist and shoulder pain at work and was sent to a doctor who prescribed drugs and wrist braces that made matters worse. This book helped me change my working environment and I have since experienced great improvement without surgery. I believe that I would not be working full time today if I had not read this book. Get this book if you have RSI. Give this book to friends with RSI.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended for prevention and recovery, 17 Dec 1996
By A Customer
I bought this book on the recommendation of the Typing
Injury FAQ at [...]

The book provides excellent information to dispell many of
the myths about RSI, provides explanations not only of the
proper posture and techniques for typing, but also *why*
they are necessary. I've seen loads of ergonomic diagrams
on how to setup your workstation, but this book finally
explains the reasons behind each technique.

In addition the book also offers excellent insight on finding
a good doctor to treat RSI, dealing with the day to day
frustrations of being injured, and retraining yourself to
avoid relapse if you are recovering from RSI.

I only wish the book had more information on pointer related
injury, and additional information on the proper use of a
mouse and/or drawing tablets.

I thought the book was so good that I am donating several
copies to my company library. Anyone who uses a computer
should read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, 1 Sep 1998
By A Customer
This is the one to have. If I had read this book ten years ago I would not be in physical therapy now.

Repetitive Strain Injury: A Computer User's Guide
Repetitive Strain Injury: A Computer User's Guide by Deborah Quilter (Hardcover - 31 May 1994)
Used & New from: 0.28