5.0 out of 5 stars A must for the amateur astronomer
Published on 3 Dec. 2002

2.0 out of 5 stars Not good
To be Honest, though the book does offer some interesting tips. Through following the advise given in it, particuarly on how to clean a telescope mirrow. The advise followed almost caused me to damage the mirror.
Like using compressed air to blow particles off the mirror. Bad idea. Yet recommended within this book.
My advise is to avoid it, or follow it with...
Published on 9 Jan. 2006

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for the amateur astronomer, 3 Dec. 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Star Ware: The Amateur Astronomer's Guide to Choosing, Buying, and Using Telescopes and Accessories (Paperback)
We decided to buy a telescope, and the advice we found on makes/types etc... in this book was invaluable. Unlike a lot of magazines and other books they cover a whole host of manufacturers - not just USA. It gives advice, comparisons, good+bad features between telescopes, eyeieces, filters and everything related to astronomy. As well as the information in the chapters on each element of astonomy, there are appendices for different price ranges and manufacturers, together with basic information on each. I'd recommend it as an essential purchase for anyone starting out in astronomy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does Exactly What It Says On The Tin, 2 Jun. 2004
A. Horner "Andrew Horner" (Erskine, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I’m in a position to buy a new telescope having discovered over the last five years what a great hobby doorstep astronomy is, and there’s a little nagging voice in my brain telling me I’m making the wrong choice of scope. I saw this book on Amazon and decided to take the plunge. It’s a mine of information covering everything you ever wanted to know about telescopes (and binoculars!) and a host of accessories. Funnily I even found the historical section very interesting (not my thing normally) and the way scopes and eyepieces have developed was good background stuff. The sheer size of the book frightened me at first – over 400 pages – but I soon realised that it was divided into sections like a good reference manual and I didn’t need to read it from cover to cover. After two or three nights of quiet study I’ve made the decision (and I know it’s the right one!). I particularly liked the detail on eyepieces which tends to be neglected by many publications, but is as important as the scope itself, and I also read that the scope I’ve been using up to now is poor quality (I could have told him that). I’d recommend this book to anyone who is thinking of buying a telescope and wavering a bit – it’s surely worth spending a few quid up front to make sure you don’t spend hundreds on the wrong thing. If I had any complaints about the book it would be that there are some price ranges quoted – dollars are no good to us UK citizens because the pricing structure is different, and these sort of things can quickly become incorrect. However, overall I found it to be an excellent publication, doing exactly what it set out to do. It will now join my library of astronomy publications and I’m sure I’ll use it when I change scopes again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 4 Aug. 2013
Length:: 1:27 Mins

I've been an amateur astronomer for few good years. I read too many books on the subject, but I always had special love for the field of astro equipment. I came across this book by accident, decided to try a copy. Since I wasn't sure I ordered the slightly older 'third edition' second hand for a cheap price.

I swallow my word, this is by far one of the best books on the subject out there. It's very detailed on everything you want to know about astro equipment. It takes you from the basic concepts to more sophisticated gear and how they work. It also lists the common astro manufacturer and their products - in details.

This books has a lot to offer whether you're after your first scope or even being an advanced amateur astronomer. You won't regret it. As a matter of fact, there are bunch of tips with 'Oops, all this time and I took it for granted' sort of thing :)

Notice, there's a chapter at the end of the book on DIY astronomy. I found this section particularly useful -- and it'll save you some money.

Have a look at my video review (just browsing really to give you a feeling of the product)

5.0 out of 5 stars A comprehensive guide, 14 July 2012
Mr. M. Burmeister "Mick B" (Redditch, England) - See all my reviews
This is the first book I've found that does more than give the most general, off-the-cuff guidance about equipment for astronomy.

I don't really know what else is out there, but I found it so useful that when I saw an older copy at the local Astronomy Society I looked through it with interest and determined within a few minutes that I'd buy a copy.

There's more in here than can be quickly digested and you'd need a great deal of knowledge experience to comment critically on it - but it's readily apparent that preparing and updating this piece of work is an undertaking of substantial labour and expense.

It's written in good plain English and contains lots of inset paragraphs with specific buyer guidance about various features of telescope and accessory design, to alert readers to misleading advertising and overhyped products.

There are also clear diagrams, descriptions and advantage/disadvantage tables on the main telescope designs in use.

I've never seen anything this good, and it was a huge help in making my first astro buying decision.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for anyone starting Astonomy., 5 Nov. 2013
Mr. R. Matthews "BORDER" (NOTTS. UK) - See all my reviews
Although slightly out of date I have found this book highly helpful as newcomer to Astronomy I learned of this book through Backyard Astronomy Guide and I would recommend both these books as a must for any newcomer to Astronomy. BOTH BOOKS ARE BRILLIANT. Re the price of STARWARE Amazon price is by far the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book worthy of reading., 28 Dec. 2012
The book is great for both beginners and experienced people interested in astronomy. The only slight negative aspect was its late arrival, more than 2 weeks. But I recommend it for everyone interested in telescopes and astronomy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 21 Jun. 2014
Conehead (Thames Delta) - See all my reviews
If you're starting out along the trail of astronomy, take a rain check then buy and read this book. It WILL save you money.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book worth reading cover to cover and then keeping ..., 2 Jan. 2015
P. STEVENS (Kent) - See all my reviews
excellent book worth reading cover to cover and then keeping handy for reference. This edition a little old now but it still delivers. I wish I had bought it long ago.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 24 Oct. 2014
OK

2.0 out of 5 stars Not good, 9 Jan. 2006
By A Customer
My advise is to avoid it, or follow it with caution

Used & New from: £0.18