on 26 February 2002
This book is great! I can put it no simpler than that!
I have read a lot of EJB text and this book is engaging, technically rich and to the point. The second edition has been updated for the EJB 2.0 spec and has had, as far as I can tell, a good re-organisation.
If you need a quick guide to a particular topic, then you can read that section. Alternatively I have been drawn to read it cover to cover. You also definitely get the impression that Ed Roman is a developer's developer. I can imagine discussing design ideas with him at the office!
If you want to read a great EJB book, then buy it!!
VINE VOICEon 18 March 2002
If you can only afford one book buy this one! This is the best encapsulation of real-world experience available. I rate 'Enterprise Javabeans' by Richard Monson-Haefel a tad ahead for actually learning EJB because of the downloadable worksheets available for Weblogic 6.1, but this is the book I use regularly.
While you are at it have a look at Marinescu's EJB Patterns book, which began as a chapter in this one but grew large enough to become a book in it's own right..
on 4 December 2012
This book is a best buy. Follows the EJB application building step by step and give a guide to develop EJBs also for beginners and professionals. I am new to ava and Java EE. I was affraid of the complexity of enterprise Java development, but this book become my guide to meet this new world...It done with so many life close examples, highlights traps and it is easy readable... I recommend it to everyone who wants to learn Java EE.

Good job!
on 14 February 2002
I just started reading this book and I am still some where in the early chapters but after reading chapter one it became clear that this is the book to read about EJBs.
It covers almost everything, uses a very natural approach and clarifies things greatly.
Chapters are well linked together and each can be used as a reference in its own right.
The appendices are as good as the rest of the book, very good as a reminder or a quick reference.
I have never read a book from cover to cover but looks like I will do this time.
All in all, it is a great book.