on 14 February 2001
So, it's closely followed by Moore's Clinically Oriented Anatomy (which is essential for any first year medic, especially ones in Brum!), but Tortora and Grabowski is EXCELLENT.
The section on the arterial and venous supply to pretty much the whole body is great - I used it as a revision guide, and it isn't often I can say that of a textbook. It doesn't have lots (and lots and lots) of detail, but from my point of view that's a good thing, because you don't end up being bogged down by lots of pernicketty little things that no one cares about or will even remember a few minutes later. That said, it doesn't lack in detail - I've done all of my first year with just this book for anatomy with no problems.
It's best point is it is so clear and explains things really well - if you don't understand just look it up in trusty Tortora & Grabowski and you'll soon be explaining it to your mates.
My advice - buy it! Get the Skeletal Atlas that goes with it as well, especially if you're on a course that doesn't do dissection.
on 25 September 2001
Despite its weight I would carry this wherever-it really is one of the clearest A and P books around. I have to admit, I'm not too keen on the slippery pages though. The questions at the end of the chapters are very good at checking understanding of the text.
on 21 February 2001
What an excellent book, I was truely amazed with its scientific contact, This book is one of the best anatomy and physiology reference books I have encountered at such as enconomic cost. The large true to live detail is really wonderful and you can really appreciate the true wonder of anatomy and physiology
on 7 June 2001
I'm a physics undergraduate with an intense interest in anatomy and physiology. Diagrams are clear and concise, explanations not overloaded. With texts as readable as this, I might even be tempted to start thinking about 'medical physics' as a career path!
on 24 May 2002
clear diagrams,good clear language,excellent layout.
this book gets to the point of what you really need to know, the points are easy to grasp, and when doing your assignments, this book will easily help you fulfil the criteria set out by your tutor.
This is an excallent book for everyone - even those who know nothing about Physiology. I am currently an access student who last had any kind of education 15 years ago. this book has helped me to pass practical assignments and written ones-and I thought I would be useless at the subject!
on 9 January 2015
The ninth edition coming from the year 2000 is yet another updated and improved version of this brilliant book of endless discoveries of fascinating facts about our complex bodies. I only own and read seventh edition so far from 1993, so I can compare it to that one. The structure of chapters and overall outline of the book is very similar, even if the text and all pictures and diagrams seems to be brand new. So there is 29 chapters throughout over 1050 pages of main text, then the appendixes, glossary, credits, and the index (priceless thing-really).

Many new elements, like for example, the term glucose transporter GluT in carbohydrate metabolism, are introduced and nicely incorporated into the storyline of the book. In 7-th edition, there's no mention of GluT, so it doesn't mean that the older version is wrong, it's just less accurate. And exactly this accuracy is improved with every new edition, which comes out roughly every 3-4 years.

My favorite chapters 25 on metabolism and 27 on fluid and electrolyte homeostasis, are even better than in 7-th edition, even if there is literally tons of knowledge on every page of this book. I was pleasantly surprised by even stronger integrity and complelingness of the text. It's written with very systematic and explanatory style. Included are questions and answers at the end of each chapter, and at the beginning, there is summary of the structure of that particular chapter. So the book is highly suited for self-teaching, or even for teaching it to others.

Another difference is including of CD-ROM with interactive interface for further deepening and recapitulation of already absorbed knowledge from reading. The official website of this book is here for you as well, supporting students or any other individuals interested in human anatomy and physiology. Plus it comes with extra 25 pages big atlas of human skeleton, The latest version is currently the 14-th edition, but as I said each version itself is the material for months and months of study. Enjoy and grow wiser.
on 31 May 2008
This was on the book list for my nurse training course at university, so I didn't have a choice but to buy it. As a first year student nurse, I have to admit, I found it a bit daunting. It's probably more aimed at medical students than nursing students. However, I persevered with it and, now I've been qualified for 7 years, I find it much easier to understand and really do wonder why I didn't get it in the first place. As said by one of the other reviewers, it is "the bible", if there's anything connected with anatomy and physiology that isn't mentioned in this book, believe me, it's not worth mentioning at all. For medical students, it's second to none. For nursing students, you may be put off by it at first, but persevere with it as I did and won't regret it, you'll be using it for your whole nursing career.
on 8 May 2000
This book combines scientific accuracy and detail with straightforward explanations, and the illustrations are superb. I am not short of praise for this book for any first-year medic - even on the new, integrated courses. You will undoubtedly need other books, but for any topic that you learn, reading the relevant chapter in this book will provide you wityh a solid foundation on which to read other, more detailed texts.
on 25 September 2007
I know people who have done degrees in animal science and nursing who swore by this book, and I did Biomedical science. It's amazing. Even just as a home reference book it's brilliant - I'm never selling mine! This book explains things about the body, organs, etc. and how they work; so well that anyone can understand it with a basic biology knowledge! If someone has something wrong, here's where I look what it is! It's not about illness but has bits on what goes wrong! It also has lots of diagrams and photographs, all coloured! I used this book in every essay in every subject of my course! Buy yourself this book! you won't regret it! =o)