5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book!
I am a first year Physics undergraduate at Imperial College and this book covers all the major topics in a clear and concise way.
To see a full list of everything covered go to the 'search inside this book' link below its image.
Published 21 months ago by Jesse_01

1.0 out of 5 stars Completely Overrated
I was told by my maths lecturer to buy this book for the first year of maths for chemistry at Oxford. In my entire year, I have not used this book once so have wasted the best part of 50 on it. Maybe it is better for more advanced courses, but for what I was doing, was a waste of money.
Published on 23 Jun 2008 by T. Newman

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book!, 13 Nov 2012
The book starts each topic from the basics, so don't worry about being thrown in at the deep end having forgotten stuff. But also don't be put off thinking it wastes time on the basics, it doesn't.
There are a lot of question and answers on all the topics as you go along so you can check your understanding, and worked examples too.
I would say it is best for physics and I would double check with the course teacher/lecturer for biology or chemistry as it is not cheap. For me, it was the perfect choice!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book!, 23 Dec 2010
This review is from: Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences (Hardcover)
This book is everything you need if your doing any course in Physics. Covers every aspect of Maths you'll ever need, explains things with clarity and ease. Probably the best and handiest book I have!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful, 5 Aug 2008
Solet (Hertfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences (Hardcover)
This was recommended to me by a physicist in the year above me at Oxford - have successfully used it for a year in Physics, and from next year's syllabus it should be fine for the second year too. It was set at the right level and does everything rigorously (for a non-mathematician), leaving no confusing contradictions when you learn more advanced topics. The explanations and questions are all well thought out for developing an understanding of the topics.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have, 30 Mar 2014
This review is from: Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences (Hardcover)
I really like this book, but if I'm honest I often find I have to use it in conjunction with others. There are plenty of questions to help cement ideas and topics are presented in a clear and concise way. My only criticism would be that some topics aren't treated with enough depth to help prepare the reader for the questions which follow. Regardless, this is a book that I'm very pleased I have in my bookshelf!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful reference, 18 Oct 2013
Jonathan (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences (Hardcover)
I bought this book as a reference tool to support my applied maths undergraduate studies. It's compact, broad ranging and well written. I have already used it several times and found it very helpful. It's quite expensive though so I would recommend looking for a second hand hardback copy - I managed to find one in good condition for 25.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book for physics degree, 16 Feb 2011
J. Levy-kramer (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences (Hardcover)
I used this book for reference and learning throughout my 1st 2nd and 3rd years while doing a physics degree. Concepts are very well explained and good amount of diagrams.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you buy one maths book buy this one, 4 Aug 2001
By A Customer
A must for all higher education maths students, both to teach you the maths fundamentals, and to keep on your shelf for all time as a reference book

1.0 out of 5 stars Completely Overrated, 23 Jun 2008
T. Newman "timmeh101" (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews

Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences
Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences by Mary L. Boas (Hardcover - 26 Aug 2005)
Used & New from: 32.62