on 14 April 1999
So maybe I'm not so crazy. At 41 I'm still learning new things, and yet I never want to see the inside of a classroom again. And yes, I too did some ah, things, for which I was never caught (thank goodness), and I survived. The IQ is at the 99th percentile, I play with four-dimensional math, and I am always looking for the next intellectual "high".
Ms. Streznewski's book is insightful. She covers a wide age range of gifted people, to age 91. Mostly she tells their stories, some wonderful, some tragic.
Additionally she has a chapter on gifted women and the problems they can typically encounter. I read the chapter with initial trepidation, expecting more of politics than observation, but she handled that quite evenly.
My only complaint is that the resource guide at the end of the book is inaccurate. Mensa is now located in Ft. Worth, TX, and the GT (Gifted and Talented) web site is GT World at a different url. That's a trivial complaint, and should not detract from her work.
on 14 July 1999
Her insight into gifted adults as people who need to learn more and faster, always needing new projects to avert boredom, and verbalizing creative, off-the-wall mental leaps that no one gets describes my experience accurately. I thought there was something wrong with me! I like her style, very straightforward, using her subject's stories in ways that move the text along rather than bog it down. No hint of pop psychology here thank goodness. I'm sending this book to a friend in Alaska who, like me, struggles with being different. I know she will find it interesting--it helps to define and clarify our sense that we are extraordinary in some way.
on 6 September 1999
Reading like a good biography, Gifted Grownups examines the needs of the nation's most neglected and misunderstood resource. A good blend of authority and approachability, the book is the result of a 10 year study of 100 gifted adults. Streznewski examines giftedness in children, adolescents, and young adults with particular attention to how gifted adults function in relationships, school, and work. Gifted adults will sigh with relief and recognition. Teachers and employers may find a clue here to working with the gifted as they are -which, after all, is what every human being deserves. This book should be required reading for every manager and educator.In other words, get it. Read it. Pass it on.By Vaughn Ward, author of I Always Tell the Truth and Adirondack editor for the Greenfield Review Press
on 22 May 1999
The author captures what life feels like to a gifted grownup so accurately, I was moved to tears reading the book. I'm sure everyone hates to be misunderstood, but it happens to gifted people a lot, and it is wonderful to read such a clear description from someone who truly understands. Give it to a gifted person you know!
on 3 September 1999
I read this book with a sense of wonder and relief. Finally, someone who understands that the attainment of knowledge is more fulfilling than the writing of a paper or the answering a test to prove knowledge of a subject. My favorite quote was the guy who said I have the attention span of about 2 years for a new subject before I want to move on to something new. It's hard to make others understand this feeling of always wanting to learn something new just for the pleasure of expanding my horizons, without making myself feel flighty or weird. Thanks for a great book. I'm saving this for my daughter for when she comes to me and wonders why she is different from the other kids.
on 2 June 1999
This book is truly amazing. Almost every page provided new insights. It was such a relief to discover that I was not the only person who was miserably bored in school until college, and that there are other bright people who have a hard time deciding on their life's work. I can't recommend this book enough for gifted folk and their families. Show people this book when they question the need for gifted programs in the schools, or can't understand why your child needs to be challenged. Incidentally, the Harry Potter books provide similar insights, albeit more metaphorically.
on 16 January 2014
We have 3 very gifted grandchildren. This challenge is well handled by mrs. Streznewski with fine guidence.
J Bjerre